Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick mounting question

Hi, just got my first scope, Equinox ED80 and am about to put it onto my shiny new CGEM mount which I have had for a few days. I see the tube comes with a fitted L shaped bracket on the underside, I have a 7" ADM dovetail bar to go with it for fixing to the mount.

Question (maybe stupid but) do I just fix the L shaped bracket to the adapter plate using 2 hex screws (supplied with adapter) inside the long slot of the plate, and then just slide the plate into the 'jaws' of the mount and tighten the up to squeeze the plate to stop it falling out?

Just seems a bit under engineered using 2 screws in a sliding slot which then slides into another grip type mount considering the weight of the tube and the extreme angle it has to sit at.

I am not supposed to use any rings am I?

Kit supplied by FLO by the way who gave me what I needed so no reason to suggest it is incorrect, just looking for reassurance.

Ta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just put the L shape directly onto the mount (assuming it takes vixen type dovetails) and forget the ADM dovetail you have.

If you want to use the dovetail, so you can move the scope further forwards/backwards on the mount to achieve better balance (or if it is a Losmandy type bracket and the CGE only accepts Losmandy, rather than Vixen), take the L shaped bracket off the Equinox (single screw under the cork) and use some tube rings - William Optics 90mm rings fit exactly - to mount the plate. I believe that you'll need an ADM metric, rather than imperial, Losmandy plate.

The ADM dovetail was supplied by FLO as the mount only accepts Losmandy fitting not Vixen. So can't I just screw the L bracket to the dovetail adapter and then slide it into the jaws of the mount and tighten?.

It works fine but just a bit concerned if the jaws loosened I would see the scope slide out onto the floor.

You are probably right, so the weak point seems to be the single screw holding the L bracket to tube, there's a lot of weight in the tube once a DSLR etc is all hanging off it. paranoid.....

Haven't heard of anyone's breaking - the hard bit is usually getting it to balanc once you have the imaging gear on. Centre of gravity is often behind the back of the "foot".

If you screw yours to the Losmandy plate, you'll be able to achieve balance by moving the plate forwards, but the single screw will be more stressed than usual. Tube rings are the usual solution.

Archived