NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Eyepiece and Filter kit

waffle

Hey everyone, here's my first official question.

So I received my telescope today. It came with the celestron eyepiece and filter kit (seen here: Celestron Telescope Eyepiece and Filter Kit - 1.25 Inch Format - Telescope Eyepieces at Telescopes), but I really don't think I have complete understanding of how each of these eyepieces work. I will be extremely thankful if someone can give me a brief explanation of how they should be used (or point me to a previous thread on the item).

Thanks again!

Waffle, Each of the eyepieces gives you a different level of magnification, dependant upon the scope... the larger number (longer focal length, are lower power). The magnification is defined as the (focal length of the scope)/(focal length of the eyepiece). The 32mm is a wide field of view, and the 6mm for close up views. The barlow is used to effectively double the focal length of the scope, therefore double the magnification.

HTH

Thanks John. I was able to mess around with some of the eyepieces and notice some differences between them. However, the barlow i was unable to use. I only tried it a couple of times, but i wasn't really able to see or find anything with it.

Of the colored filters included in the kit, are there any that provide advantages or better viewing on certain planets?

thanks again!

Of the colored filters included in the kit, are there any that provide advantages or better viewing on certain planets?

There's a couple of decent starter guides to astro filters here and here.

Of those supplied in the Celestron kit you'll probably find the moon ND filter and the #80 filter coming out the most...

Grunthos,

Thanks a bunch for those links. There's some very comprehensive info about the filters in there. I hadn't considered the possibility of "training my eye" to look for the enhanced details the filters would provide.

Great stuff.. thanks again.

Martin,

I did. I noticed that the barlow required the attachment of the eyepiece to work. Even still, i couldn't see what I was aiming at.

Then again, it was my first night using the scope and I was only out for a little while (spending most of that time setting up and messing the the eyepieces and filters). I'll give it another shot and see how it goes.

You'll find the moon filter (ND) almost imperative to use when looking at the moon. It can be too bright to look at once your eyes have adjusted to the dark.

I started off with the kit you've got and found it to be very good. I never used any of the filters other than the moon one.

Enjoy!

Archived