Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bench Unit "In the field"

So I'm a bit thick when it comes to avoiding blowing myself up, so I hope someone can assist :D

I image either in my back garden (no obsy) or in a field (star party) so I'm never away from a mains supply. RCDs are always in chain.

Now I have a million cables, and I'm trying to address this by looking at a mount hub pro. I can sling this up on the mount and run short lengths of cables to power/usb all my devices :)

Now the blowing myself up bit ... given that I use mains power (not leisure batteries) : the sensible way to power the hub would appear to be a 13.8V 15A (maybe less to save some pennies ...) bench unit ... which I'm given to believe can result in bad things if used outside?

Can this be addressed? Any advice / suggestions welcome :p

Depending on how far from the Mains you are, you could let the PSU reside in the safety of the building where the mains supply is located, and run the DC Supply via a suitably sized cable (To prevent Volt Drop) To a distribution box (RCA and or Cigar lighter sockets. A Maplins 10Amp- 13.8 V PSU should cover your needs load wise.:D

Ron.

Thanks for the reply barkis.

The mount hub actually functions as the distribution box as well (8x 2.1mm outputs) so I don't believe I would need to introduce additional kit at that end.

At home I could possibly keep the PSU indoors (I currently use a weatherproof external socket on the side of my house,) but I would need to run at least an 8M cable if not slightly longer to utilise indoor sockets.

In the field though, I'm not going to have that luxury.

Would a ventilated waterproof (contradictory I know!) box of some description be safe to use?

I think there will be a suitable enclosure in which to house the PSU, although I've not seen a commercial one.

I daresay one could be made really, suitably kitted out, and with no possibility of water ingress. Shielded air intake and exhaust shouldn't be a problem either.

Bearing in mind the suitability of the cable carrying the mains supply also, and its resistance to the rigours of human traffic :D.

Ron.

I use the Maplin bench supply when I'm on a electric hook up or at home fed via an RCD protected supply. I put a dustbin liner under the mount and put the bench supply on top of that and then cover it with another bin liner when it's fully connected. The self heating of the power supply keeps the moisture off it and the bin liner protects from any rain that might catch me out.

A secondary benefit of the bin liner under the mount is that is seems to prevent any moisture rising up from the ground and condensing on the mount or scope.

Cheers Kev, that's similar to what I do with all the AC power cables at the moment except I fold a large (10' square) tarpaulin over them.

No issues with nasty vent gasses when you use yours then?

There certainly isn't a problem with thermal currents as the temperature increase will be minimal. I think the mositure gets trapped under the liners rather than getting airborne, it's this that reduces the condensation.

I just want to say thanks guys, I have just joined the forum for the very reason you have been discussing ... bench power supplies.

For the last eight years I have driven my Orion UK GX200, self fitted with AWR motors, controller and handset, via a car battery installed in an adapted aluminium flight case. This winter the battery has given up the ghost so I thought why not use a 'bench power supply'. So I bought one.

Then I read not to use this to drive an electric motor. OK was I really powering the motors, or was I supplying power to the contoller, which then drove the motors?

Anyway to cut a long story short, too late you say, I came to Stargazers lounge to find the answer.

I did within four minutes of registering.

Once again thanks.

Archived