NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NexStar 6SE Alignment dies going to M81

I've got a brand new 6SE. I've finally started having luck getting it aligned using the Two Star Alignment method. I'm about to punch in planets and it moves and tracks fine. Likewise, I can generally look at stars and other Messier objects.

However, anytime I've tried to track M81, the scope spins around, then tilts so that the eyepiece is near the base of the scope (at an impossible angle to view in). The scope never does settle down and stop moving - it's moving at a quick tracking speed, but never really seeming to stop.

After that it completely forgets its alignment. I can try to find Jupiter and it'll be completely wrong (not even pointed in the general direction). The only thing I can do is start the alignment over.

For what it's worth, I have this happen 3 different times.

Any thoughts about why?

How are you powering your 6SE.

Mine goes crazy if the battery is flat. If you are using internal batteries, I suggest you should consider getting an external power supply, either a power tank (battery) or an AC adapter.

Also, did any part of your scope hit the base, if it did, the SE mount loses it's alignment immediately.

The first time it happened I was using 8 fresh batteries.

The second and third times I was using a 1.5a, 12v power supply that I found sitting in a box in my basement. It just happened to fit.

The odd thing is that the scope goes in completely the wrong direction to find M81. I can be pointing at a star in the big dipper and tell it to navigate to M81, it'll slew to point straight up (which is when my EP is at bottom of the scope), then just start to go nuts...

Also, let's assume it is a power-problem. If I've got a set of fresh batteries, would it smoothly kick over to battery power if the power-adapter came unplugged temporarily?

The first time it happened I was using 8 fresh batteries.

The second and third times I was using a 1.5a, 12v power supply that I found sitting in a box in my basement. It just happened to fit.

Also, let's assume it is a power-problem. If I've got a set of fresh batteries, would it smoothly kick over to battery power if the power-adapter came unplugged temporarily?

I'm not quite sure what's going on from your desciption and can only suggest the following.

Check the correct date and time, latitude and longitude entered into the hand set.

Date entered in US format? lat and long in deg/min/secs?

2 star alignment is good (I hardly ever use 3 star alignment).

Get yourself a proper power tank. The 8 AA batteries are next to useless (although the scope power will default to them if the power cord becomes detached).

What is this "power supply that I found sitting in a box in my basement"? Sounds mighty suspect to me....:D

I think you can get a decent power tank from Maplins for under £40. Use the search function on these forums to find threads like this

Other than that not sure at this stage....(it's not something daft like a jammed direction button for instance?)

Keep us posted on progress :)

sometimes the lead into the power socket is loose and if that is the case gently opening the split pin in the centre tightens it up if you keep having problems after trying a new power tank send it back there is no point having a nexstar with faulty electronics.

Forget the GoTo and do it all manually, your learn a lot about where stars are, a Terad really helps but its optional.:D

What's the point of using a SE if you do it manually. The Nexstar doesn't have clutches and has to be driven by motor. If you use it manually, it will be slow and doesn't offer tracking, so you get the disadvantage of both. If he want to do it manually, he could've save a lot of money going for a C6 on a EQ5.

If it is not a power issue then it's going to be a problem with the electronics. Consider returning it to the dealer.

Archived