Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reaching the RA knob.

The Warthog

When I use my refractor, I like to have both knobs (RA and dec) pointing towards the back of the scope, because that's where I am, and it's easier to move the scope if you don't have to reach round to the front of the scope. When i swing the scope around, I have to either reach all the way round to the front of the mount, or take the control stalk off and put it on the other side of the mount.

Has anyone tried using two control stalks? If you have a stalk coming off each side, it wouldn't matter which side your scope was on, you'd always have a control stalk handy.

When using the reflector, it doesn't matter so much, as I am standing beside the scope, and can easily reach the stalks, no matter where they are.

Funny you should mention that WH..I was thinking about this the other week whilst observing..

The two single stalks are great when you're looking from behind the mount but when your're looking South West then it can be a bit of a reach around job..

I'm always fumbling around looking for them as I prefer to keep my eye at the eyepiece..So a set on the opposite side would be a good idea..

Or as Ant says go for the RA/Dec drives...All on one controller..

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dualmotoreq5

Something along those lines... :wink:

Funny you should mention that WH..I was thinking about this the other week whilst observing..

The two single stalks are great when you're looking from behind the mount but when your're looking South West then it can be a bit of a reach around job..

I'm always fumbling around looking for them as I prefer to keep my eye at the eyepiece..So a set on the opposite side would be a good idea..

Or as Ant says go for the RA/Dec drives...All on one controller..

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dualmotoreq5

Something along those lines... :wink:

I've thought about the drives, but that costs $200, and a new control stalk costs $14. Meanwhile, I'm making up my mind whether to get a goto mount...

Archived