Would a netbook be ok

Hi guys n gals need some more advice pleaseWould a 10 inch netbook with windows XP or 7, 1gb ram and 60gb hdd be ok for basic imaging sharpcap, registax, stellerium, internet (Using SGL) webcam and photoshop style program. Have got a really good laptop but dont want to take it outside or to dark sites so need a basic one would a netbook be ok for this or should i be looking for another cheap laptop.

I agree with Olly, as long as you can capture and save you're essentially home free. Worst case you may have to post process on another PC, but you can also let the 'slow' one work over night.

A good setup would be a cheap netbook with a not so cheap external USB(3) SSD. The SSD will not fail and the Netbook is 'expendable'.

I use the astro-popular Samsung NC10 (with XP) for all my stuff. A limitation, for astro work is [iMO] the restricted 1024x600 screen... and you might run out of USB sockets? Re. the latter, I found it would work well enough with a Blue-tooth mouse. Re. the former, I recently, discovered it would even drive an extra (desktop!) screen via VGA too. Many of us accumulate "spare" lo-res LCD Screens... for outside use? :D

So I now run CdC/EQMod for telescope control (with wireless GamePad!) AND e.g. (Video) capture software. The Netbook will happily run stacking software afterwards (indoors!), but I've invested in a few "solid-state" memory devices so I can store / transfer files, do major processing on a faster machine etc.

Gamers might wince, but (user) I/O, in the field, is quite leisurely?

It's reliable enough. Amazing what these small machines can do. :)

Archived