NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help Choosing, Skywatcher Explorer 130 or Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

I need help choosing, they're both the same price at £135. Both get good reviews for the most part.

I was originally aiming for the 130p (not the flextube)

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

Which would you guys recommend?

Is the flex tube any good? I like the idea that it takes seconds to set-up and is easy to move around etc.

Also... Does the parabolic mirror make a huge deal of difference?

Hi.

The Heritage is indeed a very good scope. Takes seconds to setup and is simple to use. The parabolic mirror is better because it concentrates the light coming into the scope towards the centre of the mirror which makes images brighter and that bit sharper.

The advantage of the 130 (not the Heritage) is that it is on an EQ mount which will allow for imaging with a camera.

The only bad thing about the Heitage is the focuser. Its a bit fiddly and can be very stiff and squeaky.

The Explorer 130 on an EQ mount?.

Good choice, although they are both good scopes. The explorer 130 is the more popular choice though as it allows imaging which most people seem to want to do to a degree. Also most people do not want to lug around a table of some sort to stand the Heritage on. I'm in a wheelchair so i just set it on the ground and the EP is right there for me.

Archived