Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Focusser and Hitecastro DC focus controller

Ordered the SW auto focusser and Hitecastro DC yesterday and they duly arrived this morning.

Opened the box for the focusser, which was nicely packaged, they even threw in allen wrenches! The assembly instructions were almost there. No mention of whether the black spring coupler was needed or not, but I figured it out.

For the SW200P, the black spring coupler is not needed.

The hand controller needsa 9v battery, which I dont have. You will need to get one of them. I am going to use teh Hitecastro controller so dont need the 9v battery.

All in all the focusser went on easily. Couple of minor gripes:

1. The attachment bolts holding the motor to its mounting plate are thumb screws - No idea why, other than less tools needed.

2. Instructions were not that clear, barely adequate.

The Hitecastro DC controller came witha power cable already attached, was packaged in a plastic bag and no printed instructions other than a slip of paper telling the new user to download the software and drvers from their web page.

To be honest, for the price, I had expected a little more proffessional packaging than this. No USB cable is supplied either. I don't remember seeing any of the advertising blurb mentioning that fact.

And those push button switches, they don't convey quaility at all. The travel of the buttons for example is different on each one, making it difficult to fine adjust for visual observing. Also you are stuck with a fixed speed. For a small amount of extra development work, a potentiometer could have been added to the design to allow variable speed control probably making more useful.

On the up side, when I did find an old USB lead and installed all the bits of software and drivers, I plugged it all together and phew it worked. The motor seems to squeal a tiny bit when short pulses are sent to it, but on the whole it was pretty quiet.

Hopefully some clear skies soon so I can get out and play :)

I use a SW focus motor on the ED80 (for solar imaging) - no issues.

(BTW the thumbscrews holding the motor are for "quick release" of the motor from the fixed bracket...)

I use an ol' JMI handcontroller and a Shoestring GPUSB to control via the PC.

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - Focus Motor Control Products

I use a SW focus motor on the ED80 (for solar imaging) - no issues.

(BTW the thumbscrews holding the motor are for "quick release" of the motor from the fixed bracket...)

I use an ol' JMI handcontroller and a Shoestring GPUSB to control via the PC.

The Shoestring Astronomy Store - Focus Motor Control Products

That's good to know, thanks! :)

If you do Spikey, I'd be interested to see how you get on with it. I didn't think the SW auto focuser is compatible with the ED80.

It can be made to fit. Focussing is one of the few things I have to keep coming in and out for when on an imaging night. To be able to focus from inside and only popping out to pull the mask off and on will be great.

When I have everything set up; cameras, spectroscope, focuser etc etc I use TeamViewer to control a local ol' ACER laptop in the observatory from the warmth of the home office.

Sounds ideal Merlin. An obsy is in my long term plans and I reckon that's the way I'll be controlling my stuff from a terminal in the house.

Archived