NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Utterly shocking image of Jupiter.

I dont know what's worse. My utterly shocking (first time) Prime focus of Jupiter or my horrific attempt in PS.

But here goes:

DSC_3574.jpg

DSC_3573ps.jpg

:)

Is there any hope of getting anything from the top image?

I highly doubt it, the set up was all wrong to start with:

-First time out with DSLR

-Couldnt find batteries for the remote so couldnt set exposures etc, just used old remote with button held done for a second or so

-400ISO

-No darks or anything, just a few single exposures

-horrendous effort

-it's still an effort whereas my friends are sat indoors bored watching Eastenders and One Born Every Minute.

Took this one for fun and to see if anything is there..

DSC_3629.jpg

The washing line was supposed to be there. it's my attempt at being a bit arty *sigh*

As Ben said, the sensor on an SLR is just too large to get a decent image... but a good first effort.

There's a couple of issues though... firstly, it's very overexposed... but I'd still bet the light meter was telling you it was going to be underexposed (there's not enough light from what are effectively point sources to activate it properly, especially in centre weighted average mode, spot mode would not get it right). It also looks like you've got some traililng, too long an exposure, and a double image, probably from mirror slap (the movement of the reflex mirror out of the imaging path to take the photo)... If you can, either use liveview to life the mirror or enable mirror lockup to reduce the shakes. A much shorter exposure time will stop the trails and should, just about, get you an image.

Here's the exif data from one of the images I did like this (linked to rather than posted)

Date Time Original: 2010:09:20 21:27:19

Exposure Time: 1/10

Exposure Program: Manual

ISO Speed Ratings: 400

Metering Mode: Spot

Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

White Balance: Auto white balance

Make: Canon

Model: Canon EOS 450D

This was with an 80ED at 1200mm (f/15), so you can probably use something like 1/50s ish... (instead of 1 second from the EXIF in your image). I'd also suggest setting the white balance to daylight (or auto), rather than tungsten, although if you're shooting RAW (which you need to be really for anything astro) then the white balance setting is easily changed.

HTH...

Thanks Jgs,

the double exposure you mention, is that based on the second image? The moons were in pairs last night. I thought it was my dodgy set up till I checked on Stellarium.

Yeah the exp time was however I long I get the button down for, about 1 sec I think.

it might be the moons in pairs.. they just seem to be to coincidental... It was 1 second, it's embedded in the image (you just need an EXIF reader to pull it out)...

From your image :)

Date Time Original: 2012:02:16 22:01:13

Exposure Time: 1

Exposure Program: Manual

ISO Speed Ratings: 400

Metering Mode: CenterWeightedAverage

Flash: Flash did not fire

White Balance: Manual white balance

Make: NIKON CORPORATION

Model: NIKON D90

Thanks all.

That image you posted BM - I would have loved some detail like that!

I can see that through the EP, but just find it on the camera.

You are welcome, keep at it and if you follow advice given by John i am sure you will get a better result.

Regards

Ben :)

Yes I thought there was something up with my eyes, the scope etc, I couldnt understand why there were 2 pairs of 'something'. It does loko like a mistake of some sort, but I promise it wasnt :)

What are the other white stars there? Did I capture other moons or something?? I found those when I was moving sliders and pressing buttons in PS (again, not having a clue what I'm doing).

Do you think there's anything I can do with the first image?

My guess on the other white dots... hot pixels... rather than stars... you'd get trailed stars and similar effects to the moons if they were stars to be honest. I'm sorry to say, I don't think there's a lot can be done with the first one... once the main part of the planet is blown like that, there's no detail to recover. Please don't let that put you off... give it another try... If you're remote shutter release isn't working, use the camera self timer at 10 seconds, should be more than enough time for any wobbles to settle down after touching the camera. Also, use liveview or mirror lockup (I think you've got liveview, and at full zoom, that can really help make sure the focus is spot on too).

Good Luck, and look forward to the next batch.

My guess on the other white dots... hot pixels... rather than stars... you'd get trailed stars and similar effects to the moons if they were stars to be honest. I'm sorry to say, I don't think there's a lot can be done with the first one... once the main part of the planet is blown like that, there's no detail to recover. Please don't let that put you off... give it another try... If you're remote shutter release isn't working, use the camera self timer at 10 seconds, should be more than enough time for any wobbles to settle down after touching the camera. Also, use liveview or mirror lockup (I think you've got liveview, and at full zoom, that can really help make sure the focus is spot on too).

Good Luck, and look forward to the next batch.

Thanks :), no I'm not put off. I wasnt expecting much, just lobbed the camera on and pressed 'go' and that was about it. Nothing fab comes out of that!

I didnt help that my temper was starting to boil at my ineptititude and keeping my 'stuff' organised so I can find it when I want it.

To focus, I zoomed right out at Jup then turned the AF off, took the lens off and put it on the scope. Error number 1 no doubt.

What I really need is a list of idiots instructions: do this, then that, then this, then that...because I am literally making it up as I go along and I'm getting myself in a state.

Aha... ok... what I do when I'm not using a remote shutter release is...

connect camera to scope, get rough focus using the viewfinder, activate liveview and zoom in all the way on the subject (moon, planet etc). Tweak the focus... spend your time on this bit, get it as close to perfect as you can, Jupiters moons can be a sanity saver, get them to pinpoints. You may find you need to set your shutter speed to 10 or 15 seconds to get a view you can see anything... use the fastest you can to get a view. Adjust the shutter speed and ISO, as I said, try ISO400, 1/50s... ignore the meter. Take a shot... zoom in all the way in the preview and check the result... adjust settings as need be... (you should be able to see the two main cloud bands for instance) and reshoot. repeat until you get a result you're happy with.

Aha... ok... what I do when I'm not using a remote shutter release is...

connect camera to scope, get rough focus using the viewfinder, activate liveview and zoom in all the way on the subject (moon, planet etc). Tweak the focus... spend your time on this bit, get it as close to perfect as you can, Jupiters moons can be a sanity saver, get them to pinpoints. You may find you need to set your shutter speed to 10 or 15 seconds to get a view you can see anything... use the fastest you can to get a view. Adjust the shutter speed and ISO, as I said, try ISO400, 1/50s... ignore the meter. Take a shot... zoom in all the way in the preview and check the result... adjust settings as need be... (you should be able to see the two main cloud bands for instance) and reshoot. repeat until you get a result you're happy with.

Ohh thank you, I did mean in general but thank you for taking the time for me.

Archived