Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Damaged focuser - do I just buy a new one?

rocketandroll

Hi folks....

Some of you may recall my tale of woe with my new Orion Optics newt which I totalled last December when it hit the floor...

well, the scope went back to orion and was returned this week, apparently repaired.

My concern is, the main issue was that the focuser draw tube was off true by about 0.5 -0.7 degrees... it's come back much smoother, but still off by apparently the same amount (see pic below).

Is this small angle going to be seriously affecting my images? Having paid the extra for 1/10PV optics I don't really want a small mechanical issue to screw up my results.

I am waiting to hear back from Orion about whether they did anything to fix the angle issue or if that is actually ok...

I am however very close to just biting the bullet and getting a new focuser, such as: First Light Optics - Baader SteelTrack NT for Newtonians

The gutting thing is that I have spent almost the value of that new focuser on sending the scope back to Orion for it to be fixed and returned to me...

What do people think I should do? This is going to end up being one of the most expensive standard steel tube newts in the world at this rate :-)

Ben

post-23494-133877733045_thumb.jpg

Archived