Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what am I looking for?

rowan46

I can't image in my garden As I have no view. at present I take my nexstar 5 down to the canal by no means a dark site but it's darker than my garden. I don't drive so I am looking for a go to mount that can be portable will take an ed 80, a finder guider, dslr, and accoutrements for guided imaging. in short what's the smallest, lightest goto mount capable of guided imaging with an ed 80 or similar? up to £2000

Smallest and lightest imaging GOTO mount for £2000.

I'd be tempted to get a Vixen GP2 with a Synscan EQ5 GOTO upgrade. Use a DP70 tripod will bring the weight and size down even more.

A GPDX will be a step up for accuracy, but also heavier

Here is my travelling set up. The SCT in the picture is a C6.

I haven't done any imaging with this mount yet, so I can't comment on the PE of the GP2. I think Vixen quote around +/-20 for the GP2, but there are some reports of PE less than +/-10 arcsec.

e.g. the PE curve posted toward the end of this thread

Telescope Reviews: AstroTrac TT320X or Vixen GP2 Photo Guider ?

post-21986-133877732626_thumb.jpg

post-21986-133877732632_thumb.jpg

post-21986-133877732637_thumb.jpg

post-21986-13387773264_thumb.jpg

post-21986-133877732645_thumb.jpg

Vixen DP70 is the small steel tripod that's packaged with Vixen's GP(2) photoguider. I don't think Vixen UK sells it separately, but you can check with them.

My tripod is the newer SXG-S71 (Vixen Japan changed to a new tripod connection format from this year) so it needed an adapter for use with my old format GP2 head. That makes my unit a bit bigger than ones using the older DP70 tripod. Vixen UK don't sell this tripod either, so I bought mine from a Vixen dealer in Hong Kong. I think the lack of living space in the Far East make compact mounts much more popular than in the west.

Available Astro Gears

Amazon.co.jp SXG-S7135503-7 VIXEN:

SXG-S71 KYOEI

Here is a size comparison between a GP2 photoguider and an Astrotrac

Google Translate

Here is an example of a Tak P2Z and a customised DP70 modified for a portable imaging.

Google Translate

A GP2 is compatible with a dozen GOTO systems without modification. e.g. Vixen SS2K, SBS, Celestron CG5 GT, SW EQ5 synscan, IOptron Goto Nova, AWR's goto upgrade, Boxdörfer MTS3-SDI etc...

Obviously if you don't need GOTO, an Astrotrac will be lighter, smaller and more accurate unit.

Archived