Scope for astrophotography

Hi. I have a limit of £1200 for a telescope. I have been looking at a nexstar 8se, I would like to no if it's good for imaging? What sort of pics would it be capable of. I will be using a canon 1100d attached? Any help will be great. Regards.

It really depends on what you want to image. Planets and Deep sky objects need almost the exact opposite types of equipment. The 8se with 2m focal length at f/10 on a single arm altaz would not be my choice for deep sky astrophotography but it should be okay for lunar / planetary imaging with a high frame rate camera rather than a DSLR. You could try exporting the video feed from your Canon but I haven't tried that myself.

If you really want the best of both worlds, (Lunar/Planetary & Deep space as well as being decent visually) then an SCT is probably the scope to go for, but get an EQ mount and a focal reducer to make the scope fast enough for deep sky objects.

If you are not so fussed about lunar or planetary imaging, then a newtonian telescope may present the best investment for you.

So to start with, what sort of images are you hoping to take? What aspect really interests you?

Thanks

Tim

Planets = webcam; a Mak is a great option

DSOs: many are too wide-field for a Mak; ED80 refractor or similar is good. Don't forget that guiding is king for DSOs, unless you don't mind having to bin most of your data...

Probably the best compromise is a solid Newt reflector on a decent mount that can cope with the load.

That's my two penneth anyway

Have you looked at the skywatcher 200pds / 250pds + HEQ5Pro / NEQ6Pro ?

Of the 2...the 200pds + HEQ5pro is more portable & probably easier to live with, but for A/P you may want to start with the NEQ6 Pro..heavier & sturdier of the 2 mounts & can carry the 200pds + guide 'scope etc

Im affraid, as others have said above shooting both planets and DSOs is going to require a compromise somewhere i.e. gear your kit one way or the other.

Personally I am going down the DSO route and currently have a 10" reflector sat on an NEQ6 mount which is guided and I will shortly be adding a dedicated CCD camera to the situation.

Regardless of whether you want to shoot planets or DSOs one common factor to consider carefully, IMO, is the mount! If DSOs are still in the mix it needs to be GEM (equitorial mount) for definate, the sturdier the better especially if you do go down the serious DSO route as you will inevitably end up with a lot of kit hanging off your scope.....A GEM will also work for planetary imaging.

HTH

Hi and thanks for all the advice. I think now I will stick to wanting to image planets as I am only a beginner and it all sound complicated. Maybe I'll gain more experience first then think about DSO's. What would be an ideal scope for imaging the planets? I have looked at synscan 127 with az GoTo. It's well within my budget range and I'm wondering if anyone has used the scope and what sort of result you have had. Is it good for planetary imaging?? Regards

I, personally think, as you have the budget you should still look at a GEM mount - what scope you stick on it can be geared depending on whether its planetary or DSO. Having a sturdy base is a good thing and will furture proof you a bit.

My thoughts:

EQ6 Syntrek £815

Skymax 127 OTA £255

Some pennies left over for a webcam and/or eyepieces.

Just some thoughts....

For imaging your first main priority is the mount and if it will fit your budget an EQ6, or at best an EQ5, a scope for the Planets could then range from a 127 Mak to a 200mm Newt, then there is the rest of the gear, unfortunately I think the days of the cheap webcam are now over, as they seem to be unobtainable, as most outlets say they are out of stock :icon_scratch:

Your original choice of an 8se would soundly beat both a 127Mak and 200P for planetary imaging. The altaz mount would also be okay for planetary imaging.

Im not disputing what you say, but in an effort to future proof and as the budget allows I would seriously look at a GEM mount.....the scope side of things Im a little clueless with.....

Thanks chaps great advice. I'll have a look around and decide on what will be best from the gear that you's have mentioned. Thanks again. Regards

Your welcome, lets us know how you get on :-)

I'd agree with the C8 being better choice than Mak 127 or 200p for planets. It's much more expensive course.

For your budget, you should consider the C8 on a CG5 mount as well.

First Light Optics - Celestron C8-SGT XLT GOTO

Alternatively, 180 Mak + CG5

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 180 PRO

First Light Optics - Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO

Im not disputing what you say, but in an effort to future proof and as the budget allows I would seriously look at a GEM mount.....the scope side of things Im a little clueless QUOTE]

A GEM is a prerequisite for deep sky and you need a good stable one as well. For planetary imaging the mount has far less significance because you use a fast frame rate rather than long exposures. Doesn't even need to be a GEM, you can even get great results from a tracking Dob. For planetary imaging a long focal length and decent apperture are what you want.

A GEM is a prerequisite for deep sky and you need a good stable one as well. For planetary imaging the mount has far less significance because you use a fast frame rate rather than long exposures. Doesn't even need to be a GEM, you can even get great results from a tracking Dob. For planetary imaging a long facal length and decent apperture are what you want.

Very true, I guess as the OP mentioned DSO originally.

I suppose it all depends on which way they want to go.....bit of a catch 22 situation as you wont necessarily know until you try. For that reasons its probably less risk to go for a GEM which will work for both DSO and Planets rather than anything different which will work for Planets but you then find yourself forever struggle with if DSO becomes your thing....decisions, decisions!!!

Plus there is the cost side to it all..... :icon_scratch:

Archived