NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2264 Luminance (WIP...!)

AndyUK

After a very kind SGL member (Eliot) came around to give my Equinox 80 focuser a good seeing to at the end of last week, I gave it a star test at the weekend... and then took 34x600s Luminance on NGC 2264.

It would be nice if I can get the RGB on this sometime (and maybe some Ha) as this is one my favourite objects - There's just SO much going on here...! (Thanks Eliot...! :icon_scratch:)

andyuk-albums-atik-314l-picture15655-20120211-ngc2264-l-2-nights-p1-jpg-ngc2264-cone-nebula-equinox-80-34x600s-luminance-idas-lp-unbinned-50-bias-30-flats-stacked-dss-processed-cs5-28-january-11th-february-2012-work-progress.jpg

Thanks Zul - I wouldn't normally post a WIP image like this, but I'm so please to have got the focuser sorted...! Unfortunately this is an object which heads off into "the streetlight zone", and of course as nights drift by, it heads off there earlier and earlier. It's probably going to take another two half nights to get the RGB on this... (or I could 2x2 bin to finish in one.... :icon_scratch:)

Very nice Andy :icon_scratch:

But I can still detect something in the top left and bottom right of the frame, the stars arent quite right. Have you considered taking a punt on the 0.85x FF/FR? But im not sure if thats the answer being as the problem is occuring in two opposite corners.

Hi Rob - You're not wrong... But with the aid of CCDInspector, Eliot reckons we can sort that out as well. We've got the worst of it out, but there's some adjusters under the focuser which clamp the drawtube - Eliot reckons that by slightly releasing one corner and tightening the opposite, we should be able to get it 100% pegged.

I don't REALLY want to take a punt on a FR at this time though - A SW is £165 and the TRF2008 even more... I did consider it though, but I've been saving my pennies since Christmas and am now formulating a plan to moving in a different direction, so I really need to save all the cash I can... :icon_scratch:

Archived