Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonian droop

No, not me, the telescope.

Is there a trick to getting a Dobsonian mounted scope balanced properly?

I get a something in the center and within a second/two the viewing (ie: the light) end of the scope is tipping up (ie: weighted end pulling down).

It's a Skywatcher Heritage 130P that I have. :icon_scratch:

Observe in which direction the object moves and then counter act it by aiming the scope higher,lower,to the left or right a bit. The EP's that you have shouldnt be causing the scope to droop simply because they are not heavy enough.

Also make sure that the tension knob that holds the scope into the dovetail is tightened to its max...............without forcing it to tighten even more then your own strength can do.

I'm sure the scope in the mount has a centre of gravity. I dont worry about that. All you want is the scope set in the dovetail clasp to give you enough clearance so the back end of the scope does not touch the mount base when observing when the scope is pointer directly overhead.

Sounds to me like the tension screw/knob that holds the scope in place is a bit loose.

Tighten the part i have marked in red: you dont want it too tight because this controls your up/down movement.

post-18019-133877732037_thumb.jpg

Archived