New to astrophotography, help !

andyhulme1966

I would like to thank every one for the warm welcome !

I've just seen the book mentioned at First light Optics so I will ordering it in a few mins.

I’m on a tight budget at the moment and I really don’t want to rush in and upgrade my scope for the wrong thing.

If no one minds me asking, for deep sky photography which is best, as I’ve been told different things, a Schmidt or something like an Equinox 80 or 100 APO PRO mounted on my EQ5 converted to a GOTO ? I’m looking to upgrade in the summer, (birthday money lol) .

My camera is a Nikon D300, but I was looking to use my smaller Sony NEX-5 as it’s a lot lighter and has no mirror. I’ve ordered a T2-mount for it to connect it to the scope.

I’m also looking to pop along to one of the Macclesfield Astronomical society’s meetings once all the Brian Cox Hoo Haa has died down. I believe its made things a little busy !

Real shame I missed all the shows due to work !

Thanks again for the welcome .

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For planetary AP you can't beat an SCT, but for DSOs small apo refractors are the first choice, at least for imaging nebulae. For DSO imaging you want as fast an F ratio as possible - F6, F5 or faster.

This might be the silly question of the month but....

I've just fitted the SkyWatcher EQ5-UPGRADE Goto and I was wondering has anyone else fitted one as well ?

If so did you fit the Dec motor on the right hand side (east side) by rotating the mount in Dec axis as the instructions ask or on the left side (west) ? The reason I ask is if its fitted as per instructions the locking screws for the mounting plate will be on the right with the small silver locking screw ontop not the bottom as before. Surely this way the scope is less secure ?? As the weight of the scope will not be pressing down onto the small locking screw ? I've seen both ways in pics on the net, does it really matter ? Any help would be much appreciated. :icon_scratch:

Archived