BST Explorer / Skys the Limit - a few questions :)

I'm looking at the BST Explorer EPs sold by Skys the Limit and have a few questions.

Are they available in lower powers than 25mm anywhere? I was hoping to buy a 32mm EP for some good wide field views. If not, can anyone recommend me an alternative that would complement the higher power BSTs? I see they sell a 70° 36mm unbranded 2" EP, but know nothing more about it.

Does anyone have any experience comparing them to the Revelation EPs? I like the look of the photo/visual kit, but don't want to waste money on EPs I don't need or are inferior quality. I know the Revelations are only 52° FoV - how much difference does this really make?

Finally, I'd like a 2x barlow. Skys the Limit sell several unbranded ones from little over £16, but I've no idea if they're any good. Any recommendations or advice on what to look for buying barlows?

Thanks for your advice. :icon_scratch:

I was hoping you'd stop by. :)

I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that GSO make the Revelation EPs. If so, I'm glad you've recommended their 32mm EP and it's probably even the same one that comes with the kit.

£35 sounds fair for a barlow, I shall make a note of the Tal. :icon_scratch:

GSO are sound and make both the revelation kit (which I have owned) and it is rummoured Meade 4000 are the very same eyepiece. BST are however a better ep. They have a better build quality, better eye relief and offer a wider field of view, they don't however do a 32mm :icon_scratch: I would go GSO.

Second CW on the TAL barlow!

Thanks for the recommendations, this is proving harder than I expected!

Just to make things more difficult, I'm also looking at individual Revelation/GSO EPs. They offer some 2" wide field EPs for a rather tempting price, the matching 2x barlow is good value too:

Telescope House Revelation Eyepieces

Seriously, this has to be the most difficult hobby I've ever had to buy for. :icon_scratch:

Eyepieces are more difficult to choose than scopes in many ways !. At least your 120mm F/8.3 refractor is not too fussy about the quality of eyepieces that are used in it. I would not recommend the Revelation 2" eyepieces in faster scopes but they should be OK with the Evostar 120.

The 42mm would show a true field of view of 2.7 degrees in your scope - no 1.25" eyepiece can come near that.

You're not kidding there John! :icon_scratch:

Is there any reason I should choose 1.25" over 2" EPs? I was considering the 30mm 2", but would the 42mm be a better buy?

Sorry for all the questions. This rabbit hole is getting deeper..... :)

The 2" format allows the eyepiece to have a much wider field of view. Thats the difference really. A 30mm 2" can have an apparent field of view of 84 degrees but in the 1.25" fitting the max is around 55 degrees. The limiting factor is the inside diameter of the eyepiece barrel you see.

So quite a lot of folks have 1.25" eyepieces for medium to high powers and 2" ones (or just one ) for low power.

Righto, that explains why I can only seem to find 2" EPs in lower powers.

Well those 2" EPs are certainly high on my list now. I'm pretty tired, so need to head off and sleep on what I've learned this evening.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. :icon_scratch:

Archived