Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equipment storage

Jammy

I've recently bought an NEQ6 mount and at present it sits in the its packaging when not in use.

I don't think the cardboard will last very long, and was wondering what people use to store their equipment in?

I was thinking of getting plastic storage boxes with foam or polystyrene inserts. Any alternatives or recommendations?

I'd love to leave it set up full time, but don't have the room.

The cardboard for my telescope and mount has been in my garage nearly 5 years - it is still fine. However, I just leave my mount set up in the garden - with suitable weather proofing to the hardware - under a plastic cover I got from Tesco for £1.

I'm sure you could knock up, or find, a wooden box which would work. Plastic might break under the weight?

This is my storage box for my 10" Orion UK Europa Newtonian. 6mm MDF board foam line compartments for the weights at the bottom. Above that a fals compartment with 12 volt battery when the panel goes back on top the CG5 mount goes into the compartment. Above that is my EP and filter compartment. Above that is a compartment for spare cables and miscellania. Then the main compartment has a shaped base with foam mount for the Newtonian. A bungee hook to hold it firmly in place.

On the side are 2 cigarette lighters for 12v power from the built in battery.

On the rear at the top, a Bolt to fit the metal ep tray from the CG5 tripod. This is secured using it's own tightening knob. THe trolley is a heavy duty trolley bolted to the box and the L bar is there to attach the tripod to it. The tripod and lid are secured using quick release tarpaulin straps.

after i got my dobson i was worried about space and where to keep it. i have a balcony on 1st floor that goes out to the NW direction. i dont get much rain, the rain rarely reaches all the way back to the balcony. first i made me a dustcover by glueing 2 plastic liners (normally used for trashbins) to another. after a while i left them off because it was much faster to get the scope out and put it into the corner again after observing. now i just wipe the scope with a clean cloth from time to time, and it works just fine for me. however this is for a sturdy dobson, if i had an apo and motorized mount i probly couldnt do this.

Archived