From a 200p to a 127 advise

Hi,

I used to have a 200p as per my sig but had to sell as I needed funds, I'm looking to buy another scope now and i'm looking at a 127 mak on a goto as its smaller and more portable Can anyone offer advise as to how a 127 compares to the 200p. I like hunting DSO's so this will be mainly what i'll use it for.

Thanks

Maks are great for planets but you're dropping a lot of aperture there and though you will see the larger brighter dso's the fainter more distant ones will be harder to hunt and see, and some will be impossible to see. You could consider a 150P if you still have the EQ5 - bit less of a downgrade :)

it's not great on dso's compared to a 200p you can see a lot of the m's but except for the big ones they are not very impressive and the big ones tend to fill the scope too much. a mak works better on planets where magnification can be used. I have a 5"sct and you certainly notice at starparties how much better apparture performs. unfortunately I need portability or I would get the 200p dob but it's better than no scope

Archived