NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small object?

Episkey

I was observing the Orion Nebula at low power tonight and a small object crossed through my field of view. It was about the size of the stars around, and took about 2-3 seconds to cross the fov. Is this a meteor or a satellite?

Almost certainly a geostationary satellite. See this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/172459-more-faint-geostationary-sats.html

Interesting link, but the OP saw the object move across a low-power field of view in 2-3 seconds, which is what an ordinary satellite would do. A geostationary one would take far longer and look effectively stationary.

I see plenty of satellites while observing but have often wondered if geostationary ones can be observed so thanks for the link.

Interesting link, but the OP saw the object move across a low-power field of view in 2-3 seconds, which is what an ordinary satellite would do. A geostationary one would take far longer and look effectively stationary.

Fair point. Sorry, I didn't read the post properly. I had assumed that you were observing whilst tracking the stars, in which case a geostationary satellite would appear to be slowly moving across the field of view even though in reality it would be stationary in the sky. Given that it took just a few seconds to cross, then it looks like it was probably an ordinary satellite.

Archived