NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horsehead now in colour - combining CCD Ha with DSLR

Dave Smith

I have just discovered from a club mate that with Maixm DL one can combine images from different cameras and scales. Here is my first attempt at this process.

HHcolour001.jpg

It was made from these two images. The first is with my Atik314L+ in Ha and the second with my 40D DSLR.

HH004.jpg

HH-flame-nebula-01.jpg

There are some faults there, but I'm pleased with this as a first attempt.

Any comments on techniques to do this better very welcome.

Dave

I didn't know you could do this with Maxim Dave, I've always used Registar. Is it an easy thing to do in Maxim?

You can get some very nice results using the super sensitive CCD's for the Luminance or Ha etc and then getting fast and easy RGB from the DSLR. Saves a bit of mucking about with a load of filters :icon_salut:

Hi Tim,

Basically you load the two images into Maxim, choose align by two star alignment, click on two stars well separated that are in both images and then align. The two aligned images are then loaded into Photoshop and put into layers. The colour one was underneath and I applied a gaussian blur and the upper layer was the Ha set to luminosity and you have a coloured image. You can play with the two layers to your hearts content. Flatten and hey presto. Rotate and crop - Finished.

Your thought about using the DSLR for the colour also occured to me but I have recently bought the LRGB filter set and have ordered a filter wheel.

Dave

I will be on my usual plot at the Spring Kelling but higher up the field in September.

Dave

We'll be in the top corner spot on millionaires row from the final sunday of the SP for two weeks.

Originally Posted by alpal

Nice job.

You can also do that directly in photoshop with any 2 photos.

Use the transform tool but it's tricky to get the alignment perfect.

It takes many iterations & 50% opacity between layers.

Rather you than me Alpal! It's as simple as two clicks in Registar :)

Archived