Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P

Hey

Just wondering if anyone can shine a little light.

I want to buy a telescope for my partners birthday and at the moment have two in mind the skywatcher 1145P or Celestron 114eq.

At the moment Im pushed more towards the skywatcher as it has the sky at night award however I cant seem to find much info about it nor reviews. Also Im not sure if you can use different lens or filters in it as you can with the celestron.

If any one could please let me know if they have used either scopes and what you would recomend it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Claire

You can use other eyepieces and filters with the Skyhawk. The Skywatcher range seem to be better made than the Celestron versions, the Astromaster range tend to have a lot of plastic components in the telescope which are metal in the Skywatchers. The finderscope on the Astromasters is useless and cannot be easily changed, the finder on the Skywatcher uses a standard two hole base which will accept other types of finder or you can attach a small standard dovetail base to the telescope to accept a wider range of finders. The Celesrton 114EQ has a focal length of 1000mm but uses a lens built into the focuser to allow the tube to be shorter (the Skyhawk 114/1000 uses the same optics). These telescopes use a spherical primary mirror and tend to give a slightly less sharp image across the full diameter of the mirror compared to a parabolic mirror, the Skywatcher Skyhawk 114SP uses a parabolic mirror. If your funds allow it go for the Skywatcher 130P 130/650.

Peter

Peter

Thanks for your help.

I thought I had read somewhere that you could buy an RA clock drive (not sure if thats right) to fit onto the skywatcher, I had assumed this was one of the things that attached to the pc.

Sorry, as you may have guessed I dont know much about telescopes but over the past few weeks I have been trying my best to research as much as possible so I dont get my partner a rubbish gift.

If you can up your budget a bit go for a 130mm sky-watcher. I would choose sky-watcher over celestron every time. The mounts have too many plastic parts and are very wobbly on those celestron astromasters plus as said before those red dot finders on them are dreadful. You will be much happier with a sky-watcher telescope. Good luck in your purchase :icon_salut:

Sorry to be a pain but Im stuck again now.

I have found an advert for a second hand Sky watcher Explorer - 130 f/900 Newtonian Telescope however I dont understand what the person has wrote in the description.

He says:

The scope is in good collimation with symmetrical Airy rings and has had the eyepiece cap centre drilled to facilitate future adjustment.

This scope should really state f=900 not f/900, the f-stop for this scope is actually about f/6.9

I have no idea what this means nor do I know if its the same as a 130p as recomended earlier. If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Archived