Celestron LCM114 - will this one do for me?

Found on Amazon in my budget:

Celestron LCM 114 Computerised Telescope: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

My requirements (first scope):

1. Must be computerised - tell it to look at Saturn and away it goes - need reasonable (good) view/clear focus obviously.

2. Have stand and alt/az mount

3.Able to take my later wants as finances allow:

i. webcam attached for viewing indoors (ideally with control from indoors)

ii. attach my JVC camcorder (with screw front)

I appreciate eyepieces come later as I know more about what I want to concentrate on and I know I'll need adaptors and other wires to connect up webcam/camcorder/remote control but do you think this will do me for starters and laters?

Weight not a problem as beautiful starry skies appear outside my back door :icon_salut:

My concerns as a newb are: are my expectations, at this price level realistic? If I have it all wrong, please note that I do need to purchase something available in the UK for less than £250 to get me going!

Thank you

DM

NB: Also guess I'd be looking for a new, different one in 2 years time when I (hopefully) have more experience or (do not hope) suffer frustration!

I'd get the skywatcher - worth the extra money. Looked into it - Celestron has less capabilities on handset, the mount is less sturdy, and the fixing part is worse than the skywatcher. They've also discontinued it - after only a year or so.... hmmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Dormouse,

I thought the same as you, must be GoTo when I went out and bought a 114lcm. After a very short time I realised that was a mistake. Thankfully the retailer agreed to swap it for something else and I got a 150 Dobsonion.

I am absolutely delighted with it. I realised I was buying something to look through and therefore on a limited budget wanted to invest in optics, not motors and electronics at the expense of optical performance.

Don't get me wrong, I think GoTo is a great idea, but most of the objects in the handset will be difficult if not imposible to see with the budget GoTo's.

Where in the South are you?

Andy

Archived