Viewing conditions last night

Last week I received my BST 8mm & 12mm eyepieces and was blown away by the difference from my standard eyepieces.

Last night, although the sky seemed fairly clear (at times) in Ripon, I was struggling to get the same focus / clarity as last week. As a newbie, I'm guessing that this is the difference in atmospheric conditions?

Similar for me in Sheffield. Struggled with Jupiter last night, and had virtually no luck with Saturn this morning. Maybe should have left the 'scope to cool down some more, but I think the freezing air was pretty "murky" for me - with a suggestion of a high haze at 5.30am.

Last week I received my BST 8mm & 12mm eyepieces and was blown away by the difference from my standard eyepieces.

Last night, although the sky seemed fairly clear (at times) in Ripon, I was struggling to get the same focus / clarity as last week. As a newbie, I'm guessing that this is the difference in atmospheric conditions?

That's interesting (too me as I'm still using the EPs with the scope). What scope do you have?

Hi,

I've 'only' got a Jessops 1100-102, so my logic was to improve the eyepieces, enjoy the hobby, before splashing out on a better scope.

With the help from this forum and my copy of 'Turn Left at Orion', my knowledge is growing day by day :)

Now just how long can I hold out before buying a 200P :icon_salut:

That's interesting (too me as I'm still using the EPs with the scope). What scope do you have?

I have to say that I tried an 8mm BST last week, and found that it didn't behave itself that well in cold conditions? I think it may be because it's a large-eye eyepiece, so there is more glass to be affected, but can't be sure! It would be interesting to hear from BST owners who are observing during the cold snap. :icon_salut:

When my 200p was on it way I was already looking at 12inch and 16inch scopes and drooling. Since then I've realised that it doesn't make a jots difference really. The point is to enjoy yourself and you can do that with any scope. I want to push my equipment and my observing to its limits. I used to have 115mm reflecting scope and had years of enjoyment from it. Buy James O'meeras the messier catalogue. That was all done with a 4inch scope.

I agree with that kedvenc. The best scope is the one you use most. More often that not at the moment, I use my 66mm apo refractor on a simple mount. Very quick to set up and can give some surprisingly good views, less susceptible to poor seeing too. Must either get a dob or an observatory so I use a bigger scope more often

Stu

It was not only cold last night but the temperature was dropping fast. My 200mm never stabilised in temperature in the two hours before the clouds came over. I think the seeing was probably reasonable, but when I did a star test just before I came in I still had tube currents.

I would have been better off taking the 70mm out.

Same here in York - viewed Jupiter but nowhere near as clearly as previous nights - the bands were virtually invisible...

And Mars too - definitely could make out the orangey disc, but very turbulent with no real detail.

Just one of those things! Will try again tonight if the clouds disperse.

Archived