Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a thread for binos

garethmob

A brand name bino with "fully coated" optics with a size of 10x50 for hand held use (any bigger and the image will be too shaky).

For tripod use, the same optic coatings but sizes like 15x, 20x, etc. and objective sizes from 70 to 100.

Also, stay away from "zoom" focuser bins and be sure the bins have central focusing for both eye pieces.

Most astro vendors will have high quality bins designed for star gazing, which are much more demanding in quality for this purpose.

whats the best kind of bino to get to see the most objects

with and without a tripod

In short, you will see most in any class of binocular by getting teh best quality available. However, "best quality available" is out of reach for most of us so, assuming you are on some sort of budget, my suggestions are at: BinocularSky - Choosing a First Binocular for Astronomy
best objects to look at with binos (easiest to find)
I make suggestions every month in my newsletter:

http://binocularsky.com/newsletter/201202.pdf

I also have an Object of the Month and an Object Search page where you can filter the search by things like your latitude and your binocular size. The Whole Sky Maps give you a clue as to what is above the horizon at any time.

I hope that helps.

In short, you will see most in any class of binocular by getting teh best quality available. However, "best quality available" is out of reach for most of us so, assuming you are on some sort of budget, my suggestions are at: BinocularSky - Choosing a First Binocular for Astronomy

I make suggestions every month in my newsletter:

http://binocularsky.com/newsletter/201202.pdf

I also have an Object of the Month and an Object Search page where you can filter the search by things like your latitude and your binocular size. The Whole Sky Maps give you a clue as to what is above the horizon at any time.

I hope that helps.

That's great thanks tetenterre I'll have a look when I get on my laptop:) n thanks every one :icon_salut:.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iv had a look at the links tetenterre :icon_salut: u are a bino expert :)

i do have another question obviously (althrough it has been a long time) i do have a pair of celestron 15X70 and the cheap aldi rockwell 10 X 50s, and i will be honest, the rockwells lasted 2 weeks before collimation went and the celestron about 6 months (i do vagely remember reading the celestron had a lifetime collimation garentee? or did i miss read)

no back to the question, before i get distracted again the 2 binos above i cant trust to use exactly your point on your site,......the cheap ones dont last......which make would be better for me, and which size would be more useful (i have a tripod and l bracket but it dosent bother me. i can only assume the 10X50s would be the equivlent to my megrez where say 15X70 by a 130p in objects seen, which would be better to see the most.

i do have a budget, and its not very big :( but i can save up for it,

thanks for any help! ;)

gaz

Archived