Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Globes

gooseholla

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has experience of globes for astronomy e.g. moon, planets, constellations etc...

I have found the Stellan Moon Globe (Stellan) and the WonderGlobe moon (Wonderglobe) quite cheap, however, neither look great... In fact, the Wonderglobe constellations seem to be backwards: Constellations Doesn't inspire much confidence!

I know you can get a NASA moon for £60 + but this a bit too much. The planets of Mars and Venus are like £120!!

So, does anyone know if these smaller, cheaper versions are reallty any good? OR are there good makes out there I haven't discovered yet?

In fact, the Wonderglobe constellations seem to be backwards:

Hi ... its just a thought but if a globe is supposed to represent the "celestial sphere" then wouldn't the constellations properly be backwards? After all, the celestial sphere is supposed to be viewed from the inside not the outside! :icon_salut:

James

Yep. A lot of astronomical globes are backwards as if the earth was in the centre, where you obviously can't get your head. I think traditionally you see the backs of the figures when it's this arrangement and the fronts of them when it's the more familiar way around. I'm sure others will be able to give you more background.

I got the 16 inch inflatable globe which I'm pretty happy with. It looks a lot better than you might imagine for a beach ball, the constellations are the familiar way around, and you can fold it away. My one has a gap where Hydra should be and I think a couple of the constellations were mis-labelled. Overall it's pretty good though. They've resisted the temptation to muck around with the traditional depictions with a few exceptions (Cetus as a whale for example) - and they only have the modern constellations on there and not weird ones like Antinous or Taurus Poniatovii. They score some points with me by having Hercules grasping I think an apple branch with cerberus as a snake. I think I'm right in saying they have Virgo with wings, a palm front and ear of wheat.

I read through a copy of Ian Ridpath's Star Tales (online here) with the globe at my side - very enjoyable. To confirm my saddo geek status I also read through A Dictionary of Modern Star Names. Not saying I remember it all by any stretch!

As well as stellar globes being "wrong way round" for the reasons stated, the earliest star atlases were likewise inverted, giving the view from "outside" the celestial sphere.

If you want a view that imitates what we see from earth, you need a "home planetarium" that projects a light through the globe, onto the surrounding walls and ceiling of the room, where you'll get a portrayal of the constellations.

Like this for instance:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Milton-Star-Theater-2/dp/B0000696CO/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2

Not that I'd suggest you buy it, though - my daughter got given something similar and I was very unimpressed - the Amazon reviewers feel the same way.

A planetarium is a tall order, but clearly this thing doesn't even try.

It's difficult with any representation of the night sky, be it chart, globe, software, or planetarium, to get the relative brightnesses looking right, probably because the dynamic range is so large. The different sized blobs you get on charts usually work out OK, but not in all cases.

I don't have any experience of any decent (non Earth) globes available apart from the "NASA approved" Roplogle lunar globe you mentioned. A bit expensive (and the little booklet that comes with it is shockingly out of date!). I picked up a second hand one from ebay a while back. It's good but not brilliant...

There is a large Mars globe kicking about - but retails at circa £150.:icon_salut: Bit too rich for my taste.

Thing is, some globes have the stars 'the right way' as it were.

Anyway... the main point is - does anyone know of other globe manufacturers that sell in the UK quite cheap. I've yet to see any of the planets., etc.

If you want cheap then I think JamesC has already answered the question - the inflatable constellation globe is £9.99 at Amazon and you won't do any better than that. From some quick Googling, the next cheapest thing I find is £23.99, though I don't think much of the look of it. Give me an atlas any day.

Star Globe

Yes, but I don't particualarly want a constellation globe, or inflatable ball - I was merely saying that to me, the makes out there don't look great in any department, so were there any other cheap ones that people knew about. I'm looking at moon, planets. But it seems, alas, "decent" ones cost a fortune, and only come in Mars, Venus or Moon in this country!

I know an atlas will do the job, but i'm thinking about for decoration of a room!

As a toy to get kids interested in the night sky...OK. As an observers' tool...thumbs down. A planisphere is hard enough to use holding it over your head:(

That planetarium idea? OK if you want your kid growing up thinking the universe is a square, not round shaped but then again, what do we really know about it anyways:icon_scratch:

I bought a cheap star globe which shows the stars in their correct position not backwards. I bought the globe mark 'University of Oxford' from the shop 'The Works'.

I have also seen a similar globe at Waterstones priced about £10.

Mark

PS - thinking about it I am sure that Waterstones also had a globe of the Moon and Mars again not expensive

Archived