Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are the kit lenses like?

I'm still dithering about what DSLR to upgrade to, but part of that equation is the lens or lenses I'd get. I'll probably buy a package with a kit lens, just to make it more family-friendly and usable during the day, but how good are they for astrophotography use? I'm particularly thinking about the ubiquitous 15-55mm, 18-135mm and 55-250mm Canon lenses.

I'm wondering if something like a 50mm prime lens might not be a very good and relatively affordable purchase too, but if the kit lenses are ok to start off with, I'd probably not bother.

I've seen some 55-250 pics that look surprisingly good. The 55-250 has an ED lens in it so it is as semi-apo ha ha! I just bought one so I will post some pics when it arrives.

The 18-55 non-IS one I have is OK but it has strong CA around stars.

Ken Rockwell runs a nice site on all things to with photography - and suggests that you should put your money in lenses not cameras. Cameras get old in the twinkle of an eye, but even old lenses are still good.

Well, my thinking is that at nearly half the price, I might feel comfortable removing the IR filter and keeping it solely for astrophotography, whereas with a 60D, I'd certainly not feel comfortable doing that. I do have a nice G10 which is more than enough for the day to day snaps of everyday life after all.

I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but if you remove the IR filter, surely you can get one to screw on the end of the lens for daytime photography? Or am I confusing myself?

Regarding a replacement filter for a modded cam... I believe you can get a clipin filter that goes behind the lens that compensates for the mod, but the clipins are not compatible with ef-s lenses.

Archived