Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help choosing my 1st dslr

amyscott

i want to get a dslr for wide field pics and to attatch to my telescope , but im not bothered about long exposures and lots of stacking so i dont think i really need a canon with its bulb usb settings and software etc...i just want one that i will know will def fit attatchments to insert it into my telescope , does anyone have any ideas of what cameras would suit me

and does anyone use a sony alpha as ive seen a few of them in my price range

many thanks

amy

x

I'll give you the bad news now, you won't get a DSLR to focus on your telescope. Sorry.

You should have a read of Making Every Photon Count. This will explain things in more detail than I shall go into here, but you have the wrong end of the stick I feel with regards to astrophotography.

To catch anything other than planets / lunar, you need long (by this I mean a number of seconds, not sub-second) exposures.

To get any reasonable sort of results, you need to use software and stacking.

You could investigate planetary / lunar imaging with a webcam. This would be a much cheaper start into the dark arts, but it will still require the use of stacking to achieve good results.

i was going to go upto the 30 second exposure mark , surely i would be able to catch more than just planets/lunar with that?

now back to the issue of which cameras if you please.lol

x

Certainly you can, I misinterpreted what you meant by not wanting to do long exposures.

Back to my original point though, you can't get a DSLR to focus on a 130.

Unless you want to modify the primary mirror / OTA to move it up the tube?

(Edit) Caveat as always. You "may" be able to introduce a Barlow, but this slows the scope down and reduces the FOV of the camera. This is not adviseable.

Canon 1000D, un-modded good place to start. Will attach to your telescope and do widefield. Or an old Rebel, second hand off the bay. I wouldn't look anywhere else. If you stick with popular kit you will always find help on the forum. Most folk are using the Canon DSLR's. I also agree will Kheldar's previous posts. You need to do more research re imaging.

Archived