Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aftermarket eyecups?

Flying Eye

Hi all,

Does anyone know what uses these things the most and where I might get some?

Back in the 70s 80s and 90's these things were found on almost anything optical, especially binoculars and video cameras. They are extra large and are contoured to encompass the whole eye socket.

I'm looking to grab a left and right one and then adapt to fit binos for cutting stray light from street lamps, which I have an unusually large number of around my garden.

In my garden 3 sides out of 4 feature these sodium horrors and as soon as I look up at an angle of more than say 30 degrees they switch from causing flare in the objectives and start getting between my eye and the eyepieces. :D

In total there must be half a dozen of the wretched things, and seriously bad neighbours they make for astronomy too! :clouds1:

You might try this site for 8x32 eyecups. A tad on the expensive side IMHO!

Boy oh boy, am I ever with you on that thought! Extortionists! Don't even look like they'd be that good either!

But thanks very much for the link anyway.

(US site prices not much better...).

Quite, but I do have friends in Chicago (yes, they worry me a bit too, even though they are actually on my side!) :cussing:

I can't find any on ebay

Yes, quite so. Drew a blank there earlier as well.

(where are the cheap HK clones when you need them?:bino2:)

These things used to be on anything you could look into or through years ago.

Hmm.... that's a thought, what about moulding one's own in say silicone, from say swimming goggles or something like that?

Definitely time for home made I think, but how to do it?:D

Anyone?:clouds1:

Baader do winged rubber eyecups

Telescope Observing Aids

Oh they look like they might do fairly well if given a shot.:icon_salut:

I am up against a substantial nuisance with the amount I'm facing, but they sure don look like they could cut some of it back. It even gets in from the undersides as well as the top!:)

Thanks very much indeed. It gets to the point sometimes where you searched so hard you missed them anyway!;)

This is a great product, but won't fit eyepieces larger than say 35mm diameter...

Orion Winged Rubber Eyeguard 1.25"

I got a few for my orthos - so much nicer to use now

Andrew

My present bins are 32 or so, so that's a win, and the new ones will probably be here in a day or three, so might well try a pair once they are measured up.

Thanks for the "in use" info - always nice when that is available.:icon_salut:

Archived