Basic Starter Kit...Suggestions?

Hi Folks,

I'm just starting out on this cosmic adventure and don't think my 8x21 bins are quite up to the task, so, I thought I might look at investing in something with a little bit more "oomph", and a few other bits'n'bobs to get me going.

After much hmm'ing and haa'ing, and a very frugal budget, I've pretty much settled on the following:

Olympus 10x50 DPS 1 Binoculars.

Hama 63 tripod. (I struggle to keep even my current small bin's steady, so I think even this cheap tripod would be helpful)

Collins Gem Stars Book.

Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas.

I think this is a decent little starter kit, but what do you think?

Anything you'd change or add? (bearing in mind this is very much on a tight budget, around £80)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Main concern is a set of 10x50's will not really present more the the 8x21's.

Binoculars are fine for wide field views - brighter nebula and clusters and they will split a few doubles. You are however stuck at 10x and that is not much magnification.

For the budget I will admit you are limited.

Have a look at the used market, something might be available and local.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Just a thought.

Another one is there a local club, a member may have a small scope for sale.

Interesting, Capricorn...thanks for the reply.

Maybe I should explain my thinking.

I settled on the 10x50's as they sound like something I could continue to use alongside a scope, if/when I eventually get one.

Looking through the forum, it seems that many people continue to use a decent pair of bins along with their scopes.

I had also been looking at the Celestron Skymaster 15x70's (£60-£80'ish), or a Celestron 21035 Travel Scope 70 (about £54).

I eventually discounted the 15x70's as being too big for my initial needs, though I suppose if I'm going to use a tripod that issue disappears. (They seem to good reviews on SLG)

I also discounted the Travelscope as I was worried it may be a bit of a "toy" telescope, and 70mm aperture is below what I understand should be a minimum for a refractor. (i.e at least 3")

Should I rethink these other options?

p.s. thanks for the 2nd hand site link. I'll also be checking out local clubs soon.

Nothing wrong with getting better pair of bins. We have a pair of 8x21s and a pair of 8x42s. The small bins do not focus well at infinity and just feel soft. I suspect yours might be similar...?

Larger bins will show you a bit more. Up to a point, heavier bins can be easier to hold steady. 10x50s are not too big and usable for general viewing too. I think I would prefer to get a good pair of bins than a small and middling quality telescope. As you say, the bins will still be useful after you have bought a telescope.

Jack

You've given this some thought and chosen a very good selection of kit. :)

The 10x50 binocular will serve you well as will the Hama tripod (not the best tripod going but "fit for purpose";)).

The S&T pocket Atlas is an excellent (and robust) reference. I bought one a few months ago and it is constantly used.

I might substitute the Collins Gem for a Planisphere but that is merely my bias.

(I take it as read you are aware of free software such as Stellarium and Virtual Moon Atlas?).

Looks like a good start to your cosmic adventure.

Clear skies and make sure you have fun!

Ags

I think you might be right about the slightly bigger bins being steadier.

The 8x21’s are so small and light they are a nightmare to keep steady for more than a few seconds, whereas I can imagine the heavier bins absorbing the shakes a bit better.

I’m still convinced that whatever I get, a tripod (even a cheap one) will be a great aid.

Grunthos

Thanks, such a small starting budget helps you focus on what you really need!

I’m glad you mentioned the Planisphere as I had thought about getting one, but I haven’t seen them mentioned anywhere in the forums, so wasn’t sure they were used much.

Maybe I just haven’t been looking in the right places, but I’ll add one to my list.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts, very helpful.

Clear skies.

Personally i would be worried about the Hama tripod. While it looks sturdier then any Hama i have tried i just dont trust them.

For not much most cost you could have a red snapper.

The Celestron travelscope 70 is a fine scope if you want low magnification widefield views. It does not do DSO's. Its not designed for that but the quality of build is really good. The tripod is useless i have to say.......................but is OK for observing the moon. I use my on a Horizon 8115 tripod while at home but use the useless tripod for traveling.

Hi LukeSkywatcher (love the name btw).

I’m glad you posted as I’d noticed you had a Travelscope, and was hoping you could provide some real life feedback on it. (I’ve already read about the flimsy tripod that comes with it, but that can be remedied)

It might help if I explain where my initial interests are.

I’m aiming to stay in the solar system to begin with, so good views of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn and their moons, and whatever I can make out of Venus and Mars. (though I’m not expecting much with limited equipment….just so I can recognise them, I’ll be a happy bunny)

I can work my way out to DSO’s as my experience (and funds!) grows.

Would the Travelscope suit my needs better than a pair of 10x50 bins?

Capricorn already mentioned that magnification of 10x50 bins is not much more than what I get already from my 8x21’s, but using the “50x per inch” general rule, would the Travelscope handle, say a max of 125x magnification? (or am I being a complete noob?!)

Point taken about the Hama tripod, but it’s within my budget and is better than nothing. I took a look at Red Snapper tripods, and they do look very nice, but a little too much for my starter budget. (maybe something for next month)

What is it you don’t trust about the Hama?

At the end of the day, I keep telling myself that whatever I get, it’s probably going to be better than what Gallileo had to work with, and that’s not a bad place to start.

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd post an update.

Taking your very helpful advice onboard, I eventually decided on the Celestron Travelscope as I think it best suited my needs. (and my 8x21 bins could remain serviceable, for the moment)

I have to say I'm very pleased with it so far, though have only been able to use it terrestrially. (It arrived today, and as per tradition, it's cloudy tonight!)

Just a something to note:

My Travelscope came with 20mm, and 10mm ep's, whereas I believe they used to come with 20mm and a useless 40mm. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is looking at getting one.

Thanks once again to everyone for your guidence, it was a great help.

Hi

Why not give the SW 705 a look its as good as bins (at least) gets you used to using a scope changing eye pieces etc. comes with red dot finder and mount large for size of scope.

Buy a x2 barlow and you have a stsrter scope for under £100 will be able to pick out planets n moons round Jupiter etc then chuck it on e bay when you want to upgrade and get most of your money back

Archived