HELP: Telescope/camera set up problem

Hi good folks on the forum.

I am a newbie to this telescoping thing. I have an Astromaster 130 EQ and a Canon EOS 450D camera. Now over the last few days I have been enjoying the clear skies and was hoping to take some moon shots with my camera attached to the telescope.

I bought the T adapter, the ring and a moon filter. I tried to do some photography with the camera slotted into the focusser of the telescope but could see nothing except a fuzzy blob. No matter what I tried I just could not get any focus at all. I tried putting a barlow on to no avail. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!

Can some one please tell me what I am doing wrong. Do I need an EP on the end of the adapter or some other bit of kit that would enable me to focus and then photograph the moon? Is it just that I am an incompetent idiot. I am really keen to at least do some moon shots.

Please help me.

Thanks

Jan

The camera sits in the focus tude with a adapter thats screws into the T-ring and has a lip to fit in the focus tube, with mine i have to move the focuser out about 1/4" no spacers ect

First Light Optics - FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter

Thanks for that, sorry for being dim but do you mean I have to move the adapter back up the focus tube - so the camera is a bit further away from the focus tube??

The adapter screws into the T-Ring on the camera, the bit sticking where the lens should be has a shoulder either 1.25" or 2" depending on your Focus tube this goes in the tube and the thumb screws stop it falling out, there are also types that don't have a shoulder but screw into the focus tube...

post-29949-133877726504_thumb.jpg

The adapter screws into the T-Ring on the camera, the bit sticking where the lens should be has a shoulder either 1.25" or 2" depending on your Focus tube this goes in the tube and the thumb screws stop it falling out, there are also types that don't have a shoulder but screw into the focus tube...

Thanks for replying again, but I already have those bits of kit. It's when I mount the camera into the focus tube with the T ring and adapter attached and try and take a photograph is where I am having the problem. I am unable to get any focus at all only a fuzzy blob! It doesn't matter how I adjust the telescope focus wheels I cannot get a even a slightly in focus image.

I had to use a barlow lens fitted into the focuser and then the T piece into the barlow to get focus. Hope that helps.

Neil

Thanks Neil, I've tried a x2 Barlow which didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jan

Try holding the camera in line with the focus tube and move away slowly to see if the focal point is further out than the tube will move, if so its time for some extension tubes...:)

Thanks Tinker you're very patient and kind for answering my questions. I'll give that a go see if it works.

Are they the same extension tubes that you would normally use with a camera and lens?

Jan

often with reflector type telescopes the problem with focus using a dslr is inward travel , many focusers do not have enough inward travel , using extensions will not help if this is the case .. does the focus tube come apart or have any removable extensions ??

look very closly in lens/viewfinder (probably during day ) as you rack the focuser back and forward ... point at a chimmny or something .. even though it will not focus ,you should see the image changing as you try to focus , my bet is that as you rack IN the focus it will nearly focus ...it will change from a unrecognisable blur to a blob kind of like a chimmny . you might need different low profile focuser:icon_confused:

often with reflector type telescopes the problem with focus using a dslr is inward travel , many focusers do not have enough inward travel , using extensions will not help if this is the case .. does the focus tube come apart or have any removable extensions ??

look very closly in lens/viewfinder (probably during day ) as you rack the focuser back and forward ... point at a chimmny or something .. even though it will not focus ,you should see the image changing as you try to focus , my bet is that as you rack IN the focus it will nearly focus ...it will change from a unrecognisable blur to a blob kind of like a chimmny . you might need different low profile focuser:icon_confused:

Thanks for replying Hemihaggins - something else for me to have a look at, the plastic bit at the very top of the focus tube comes off with the 2 retaining nuts but that's it. I was hoping to get out tonight but my quota of clouds are back and the weather says snow for tomorrow so I'll have to be patient:(

Jan

• 1 year later...

Hi Jan
I know this was almost 2 years ago.....  (I've been searching and reading all the threads on here for an answer that will work for me)

I am currently trying the same thing .. (with a mates C/A 130 and my EOS 60D) .. I have the T ring and T-Adaptor (with and extension tube as well)

and it seems to "almost" get in focus but the focuser won't go in that extra bit to get focus .. 

Did you resolve the problem? 

Thanks

Darren

The terrible answer is to buy and fit a low profile focuser.

A workround is to get a barlow so that the final image is projected out sufficently to fall on the camera sensor.

A barlow will magnify and so dim the image, most buy the common 2x barlow but there are 1.6x barlows.

What often happens is the manufactures say you can attach a DSLR, but you need to be able to attach AND focus a DSLR. They are right, you can attach one but not necessarily get anything out of it.

The terrible answer is to buy and fit a low profile focuser.

A workround is to get a barlow so that the final image is projected out sufficently to fall on the camera sensor.

A barlow will magnify and so dim the image, most buy the common 2x barlow but there are 1.6x barlows.

What often happens is the manufactures say you can attach a DSLR, but you need to be able to attach AND focus a DSLR. They are right, you can attach one but not necessarily get anything out of it.

Thanks Ronin

a lot more research yesterday and I came to the same conclusion .. :(

as this is not my scope - it's a mates, that's been left here for over a year and I decided I'm going to use it .. :) - I'm not willing to spend $$ and "upgrade" the focuser.. I think I will do more research and get my own scope that will be more suited to my needs (and that I can alter if need be)

I an looking to get a 2x barlow for the time being and see if I can get some images while I save $$ for my own ... tho I hadn't seen any 1.6x barlows in my search..

Thanks again

I use a 600D and hadn't  had any problems with focus until I got the 2xBarlow. Then I couldn't focus until someone on here helped me a great deal and explained about moving the Barlow in and out slowly of the focuser. I found that the right spot was just past the collar and now focus is okay.  It's a tricky thing to get right, but once you do it's worth the effort.

:smiley:

Archived