NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which eye pieces should I buy ?

Hi all. I'm a beginner and need some help with eye pieces.

I have only the 3 basic eye pieces that came with the scope (celestron 114). I'm led to belive these aren't great quality eps, so would like to get to get a few to offer good viewings of a range of astronimcal objects.

What should I get and where should I get them. Also, are eye pices standard fittings so can slot into any scope ?

Thanks

You can as much as you want on eyepieces! How much are you looking to spend on a set or each piece? A good quality Barlow lens would be a good buy too.

There's basically 3 sizes of fitting. 0.965", 1.25" and 2". All you really need to worry about for your scope would be 1.25" fittings.

Tony..

Some scopes come supplied with .965" eyepieces. The barrel of these is a little smaller than the average thumb. Most .965" focusers usually have an insert that can be removed to facilitate using 1.25" eyepieces. The 1.25" eyepieces are a little larger than your thumb.

Plossl eyepieces are a good choice for a beginner. They have a reasonable field of view (52 degrees) and are made by almost all manufacturers. I would suggest a 30 - 32mm eyepiece, a 12mm eyepiece, and a 2x Barlow. This will give you four useful magnifications, and will not overpower your scope.

Some manufacturers sell kits which include several Plossl eyepieces, filters, and a barlow lens. These are usually a good deal. Celestron has a kit.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm looking at the Revelation kit from First Optics, and Celestrons Eyeopner kit. They are similraly priced. The Celestron kit also comes with a 2 x Barlow. (I have a 3xBarlow that came with the scope, but don't know if it's any good).

Both kits have a set of colour filters.

Which one would be better ?

I bought this Celestron kit a couple of years ago. As I replaced my eyepieces over the years, I have sold off all but the 32mm and the 4mm (I like the 32mm and nobody will buy the 4mm) These are good eps, and you get a Barlow, which isn't particularly useful with this range of eps, but can come in handy when you are using other eps, later.

Fundamentally, it's a toss-up which one you go for. I can vouch for the Celestron kit being good product, and I hear the Revelation kit is, too.

Hi,

I've got the Celestron kit and think it's pretty good. The filters are very useful and you get a nice enough range of sizes. For a beginner (which I am too) it has proven really useful. However, the Revelation kit is of similar quality from what I can gather. Have a look and see what deals you can get.

Chris

The Barlow effectively halves the focal length of your ep. Since the eps in the Celestron kit are pretty much halves of each other, and you wouldn't be using the 4 in your scope (Theoretically you can, but actually you can't,) you don't have a lot of use for it. If you were to get a nice, comfortable 12mm ep, however, your Barlow would turn it into a 6mm ep while preseriving the eye relief and other good features of the longer focal length. This is often more pleasant than squinting into a 6mm Plossl. The Barlow is also nice for filling in parts of your range that you don't have in your kit, which is why I suggested the particular eps I mentioned in my first post to you on the subject.

TBH, I no longer use my Barlow much, except when I want to max out my f'5 scope, as I don't have a 2.5mm ep, so I use my 5mm or 6mm and the Barlow.

You can't go too far wrong with either kit, though.

Archived