Help needed!

Hi Guys!

Ive joined this forum because I am starting to get very annoyed with my telescope and could do with some help or advice.. and from what Ive read as a unregistered observer you guys know what you are talking about!! :)

Ok so I brought my first telescope just over a year ago - the Nexstar 4se, and for a first scope managed to see some nice images of the moon and the planets.. I upgraded to the 6se in September and at the same time decided I really wanted to get into astrophotography as well. I have brought all the equipment and done alot of research and have been ready to go since then.. unfortunately due to typical British weather Ive barely been outside!

Anyway, the last few days have cleared up so I have ventured out in the cold armed with telescope and camera.. only to find that I cant align my telescope at all! Im am doing everything I did with the 4se (which i always managed to align with no probllems and would find anything from the menu), everything the manual says to do and everything I have read on various forums but whenever I align the telescope and the select a object to view the telescope slews to the complete opposite side of the sky.. even if im trying to view the object ive just aligned it with???

Im sure you probably get questions like this all the time and im so sorry if I am repeating, but I am so keen to get stuck in and cant believe something as simple as aligning is holding me back. Frustrated isnt the word...:(:D

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Yes I am entering mm/dd/yy... I did that wrong a fair few times with the 4se! I am using fresh batteries.. well fresh as in they been in since Sept but only used a few time.. I am also calling the talking clock to get the correct time and have checked the time zone/standard time is correct etc....

:D

Are you doing the three star alignment? That goes crazy with me sometimes. I now prefer the two-star or solar system alignment - more reliable and quicker.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Sounds as if somewhere along the way you have entered a bit of data incorrect.

Check that what it asks for you are giving, the obvious ones are Longitude is I think first, date format is US format as in MM/DD//YYYY, also check that the time has PM at the end not AM. I think that some of the Celestron range put up AM as a default, so 12 hours out.

Perhaps the data format required has changed over the passage ot time and ownership of Celestron.

Thanks for the welcome! :D

I was just outside half an hour ago and I tried using both the two star align (auto and normal) and the solar system - I could never get it to align with the three star so gave up on that a long time ago! Thing is it does actually align (well it says sucess anyway) but then goes the wrong direction...

I have checked the AM/PM thing... I usually imput the time in the 24 hour clock, but I did just try entering 0720 and the changed to PM..

I am double.. no triple checking, that I am entering everything correct every time and its still not happening :(

I dont think i ever entered the long/lat because I live in a flat and have to take it downstairs so its not the same position everytime.....

The nexstar 6 and 8 is a slightly different mount to the 4 and 5 the software is pretty much the same but it uses more power. batteries don't last long in the 6 and 8se and the goto's accuracy is pretty power critical a power tank or mains is recommended for these 2 scopes. mine is an older nexstar but I have never had much luck with the 3 star align I just use 2 star.

so you have chosen 2 star, levelled the scope what happens next?

Thoughts from a (relatively) new 6SE user.

1) Getting the tripod level doesn't really matter (and neither does the scope's orientation)

2) Getting the correct time, timezone and daylight settings do

3) Getting the correct date format does

4) Getting the correct coordinates do (I used my car's GPS to do so)

5) Getting the coordinates entered in the correct format does

6) Centering your alignment stars (use Auto Two Star) properly (defocus them) does

7) Making sure your alignment stars are well separated (at least 90 degrees) does

8) Getting a decent power supply- I use a 12V 17AH sealed Lead-acid battery does

Sounds complicated but once sorted it is literally a two minute job.

When you have this sorted you can then look at "Goto Approach"- took me 2 months to get this right but it improved GOTO accuracy from getting the object just in the FOV of a 24mm EP to getting it just about central in a 12mm. And it will track for over 2hrs at a time.

Hi Rowan46 - after I i have level and selected 2 stars - I follow instructions on scope, date, time etc and the centre and align, scope will say "align success" so I then go to menu and select object to find and the scope will slew but ends up in completely the wrong direction - I wouldnt mind so much if I was at least near the object!

Ill try changing the batteries, I cant attach it to mains because I take it to a field down the road as that is the darkest place around me!

Hi DonKeiller,

Thanks for the tips - I have not seen GOTO Approach but ill definately look into that when I get it sorted..

One question, what coordinates are you entering and where? I have never been asked to do this but maybe thats because my scope is never in the same place...

Thanks for all your help Ags and everyone else.. ill try the bat change and let u no!

When I get this problem with the Nexstar 5SE it's usually due to the batteries, it behaves quite strange when the battery power is low. I too find that a power pack is a better way to power the scope.

Important advice - If you do buy a power pack beware that you need to keep the lead acid battery primed up or it will sulphate and eventually become dead and unuseable, the chargers they supply with these are pretty useless so invest in a three stage lead acid maintenance charger instead such as the optimate 3; connect this to the jump leads of your power pack when its not in use and it will keep your power pack in tip top condition fully charged and ready to go no matter how long between uses. There are no end of threads on here about dead power packs because they were left unused and not on a maintenance charger.

A GPS module is available which improves the setup process as the time/ date/ gps location are then automatic. I always three star align it's more accurate, but the two star alignment isnt bad. Solar system alignment is okay if your in a hurry and if done on a planet (rather than the moon which is less easy to centre) can be quite accurate.

Hey guys,

Just to update you all - I changed the batteries and low and behold its working perfectly! I cant believe it was that simple - ive been driving myself mad! Thanks so so much for all your help!

Just need to get to grips with the new tips ive been given now: Precise GOTO and GOTO Approach!

Claire xx

Hi DonKeiller,

Thanks for the tips - I have not seen GOTO Approach but ill definately look into that when I get it sorted..

One question, what coordinates are you entering and where? I have never been asked to do this but maybe thats because my scope is never in the same place...

Thanks for all your help Ags and everyone else.. ill try the bat change and let u no!

Latitude and Longitude- but to be honest as long as you are in about a 30 mile radius of a named town- that will be fine too.

Archived