Help with -2.76 co-ordinates in synscan

Hi, I am new not only to the site but to astronomy, I purchased the Sky-Watcher 130p GoTo synscan scope today but I am having a problem putting in my co-ordinates in to the computer,

One of my co-ordinates is -2.76 but I can not work out how to input this into the synscan as I can not wok out how to do the - sign and when i put it in as 2.76 and press enter it jumps to the 76 again.

I hope I have made this explination easy to understand as I really need help with this, I have had a long day already, Drove to Wales this morning to buy it and spent the rest of the day setting it up and working out this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The minus means you are West of Greenwich, does it accept East or West?

and 2.76 is 2 and 45 minutes and 36 seconds so try those numbers instead.

Thanks for your help with this, It accepts both east and west but will allow only for the 2 45 to be inputed with no room for the 36 seconds. so do I leave it at 2 45 or round it up to 2 36, I dont even know how important this is?

Thanks.

Thanks alot.

I have just posted another thread if you could help with that.

basially its asking what position the telescope should be in when I do the initial star alignment for the nights viewing.

I guess it would be horizontal and facing north? so so the scope knows where the tripod is and doesnt bump in to it?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, thats because the instructions are rubbish and there are some good experts on here and very helpful too.

thanks

Which way the telescope is pointing depends on what sort of mount you have - it always helps to give details of this. If it's an alt-az mount (such as a SynScan AZ) then it doesn't matter, as the first thing you'll point it at is probably a planet (3-star alignment) or a bright star (2-star alignment). It must be level - this is important. If it's an equatorial mount then you need to polar-align it first (i.e. set it up so that with everything centred, it points at the celestial pole, more or less defined by Polaris).

Archived