Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

best place to look for a used telescope

Hi guys,

i assume there have been issues in the past with the buy/sell area of the forum - hence its removal.

Whether or not thats the case, where is the best place to look for a 2nd hand scope? Ive trawled Ebay & its either junk (used) or junk (cheap chinese imports), or priced so close to retail, theyre not worth the risk.

Im loathe to hunt around on gumtree & the other freebie sites.

Anyone provide any insights??? im sure a lot of beginners (like myself) would be glad of a few pointers.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy.

Ebay, fleabay, evilbay. Risky.

A little good stuff hidden among the rubbish.

Astro buy sell on the web. Generally good honest people. Quite a few with SGL identities.

Local astro soc. Can't really go wrong there. But of course a limited choice.

The biggest thing before you buy though. Ask first on SGL.

You will probably find past and present owners of the scope type you are looking at who will happily give you a 'warts and all' report.

David.

I have had a couple of good buys of ebay but you need to spend a lot of time picking through the c*~p. I got a mint startravel 102 for about half the retail price but that took a bit of haggling. The only other drawback is the risk of having the scope damaged in the post if you cant pick it up.

I have to say my first experience from astro buy and sell was not as good. I bought an EQ3 mount from there and just picked it up without checking it over.

I had to rewire the RA motor drive, renew and modify the latitude bolt as the thread was a bit worn and finally strip, clean and regrease the whole thing. Happy with it now until I can save up for an eq5.

Archived