Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Phobos and Demos?

Just wondering, I spent a few minutes trying to spot the two moons with my 2" EP and was wondering if they were even visible in a 10" telescope? Both of what I thought might be it were very difficult to see and faint, but reminded me of what jupiters moons look like through the 10".

Phobos is difficult to see because it's shape doesn't reflect the sun's light very well. However it should be possible, I have seen it but I couldn't tell you what set I was using at the time, Phobos is also tiny. Demos on the other hand I have been able to see although that was through a 14" dob with a 15mm and a x2 Barlow with filters. So I think it's possible with the right set up on a 10". These are my experiences however others might have had better luck! If I get clear sky's I shall try and see if I can pick them up on my 10" dob and report back!

Archived