NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camera modd question

Astroblagger

Hello iv recently had my canon 450D filter replaced with the baader one, but i have a problem with glare from bright stars and im pretty sure the replacement filter is not sitting right on the sensor. so iv been thinking about removing the baader filter completely. just wandering what the implications of doing this are. will i need an additional ir/uv filter in the light train?

Hi there, not speaking with much experience here, but I ordered a baader replacement for my 450d, and got bored waiting so decided to just remove the standard filter and try the camera without, and as far as I can see, it's absolutly fine. After doing the mod, my front filter wasn't sitting flat either, and it resulted in what looked like coma across the whole image (so i had to dismantle and re-seat the filter again)

if you check out astronomiser, they say removal is fine for the 450d as the filter infront of the IR filter also blocks out IR as well !

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

lifted from the link :

Blocking UV and IR light.

In a dual filter camera,the front filter blocks UV and IR light with a very sharp cut off at the edges of the visible spectrum. This is information that has come to light recently when a well known filter manufacturer tested these filters after noting that they blocked IR light. The filter blocks UV and IR very effectively and is of very high quality. This means that no second filter is required to block UV and IR and the Baader filter would not do a better job.

So i'm sending the badder filter back :D

Archived