NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

L/Exp & Peltier cooling - Modifying my ToUcam

omaroo

I'll hold off till I see your results :) I have a peltier that i bought off ebay and the cold finger looks the dogs [removed word] :)

BTW do you have a circuit diagram or piccys of the additional circuit board ?

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. My eyes are aching after doing this latest wiring. They weren't kidding when they said "small". The D16510 is a TINY surface-mount chip that I decided to left the legs on where needed, and soldered to both the lifted pins as well as the pads underneath rather than tracing the pads out to a via point.

The use of some old wire-wrap wire was fantastic as it is just so much thinner than a ribbon cable strand.

I've connected power and, after mounting the board properly, I've also connected the CCD back up again. Fiddly, fiddly, fiddly!

Next I have to complete the piggy back board, cut it out from the rest of the protoboard and wire it up...

It may just make first (or is that second) light tomorrow evening.

DSC_06750001.jpg

DSC_06820001.jpg

omaroo, these are superlative. Unfortunately I don't understand half the terminology you use. But I have wondered about this: Have you thought about making some device to move the CCD in and out-of-focus by some actuator in the casing? It's just fractions of a millimetre that one needs for that perfect focussing and it seems as if it would be better to just move the chip and not the whole camera assembly. What do you think?

Nice one.. :wink:

Not for the faint hearted, doing that soldering.

Have you/do you work in electronics ?

Cheers Philip, and thanks SteelRat & themos :cool:

No, I work with people who write software. I'm an IT manager. I was an IBM engineer back in the early 80's so I did need to have the skills but rarely used them. I guess it's mainly from what I've done in my hobbies over time.

Cheers

Chris

Great work mate

keep the reports coming

You`ve almost convinced me to rip open my phillips spc900 and have a go myself!!!

Thanks Mikkey... will do :wink:

Question for you: I notice that you have a D40 - how do you like it? Have you used it for any astrophotography work yet?

Cheers

Chris

Archived