NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new here looking to buy LX90 8"

Cheers guys, will want warranty on a new one, will have to buy UK then....

I sold all my camera gear, had a canon 7d, but thought might invest in a canon 20d being you can pick them up cheap now around £100, for taking images with the LX90.

Any comments on this setup

Terry

£1500 you say ?

USED Celestron C11-SGT (XLT) Computerised GoTo Telescope [11067-XLT-USED-SECOND-HAND] - 1,499.00 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

The mount imo is perfectly fine for lunar and planetary imaging and you won't have to bother with a wedge or field de-rotator like you will with the Meade. As much as I rate Meade this is a bit of a bargain.

You could do a lot worse

Cheers guys, will want warranty on a new one, will have to buy UK then....

I sold all my camera gear, had a canon 7d, but thought might invest in a canon 20d being you can pick them up cheap now around £100, for taking images with the LX90 or maybe a larger apo.

Any comments on this setup

Terry

Yes, it won't work. Sorry, but I really don't think it will. The LX90 mount is not sufficiently accurate to image at the focal length of an 8 inch SCT (2 metres native, 1.6 metres reduced). Besides, does the LX90 support autoguiding now? In the past it didn't and needed modifying. Without an autoguider there is no hope of imaging at those FLs and even with it the Meade fork mounts are very tricky on the autoguiding front.

And even when/if you get the autoguiding sorted the standard SCT optics will not cover an APS chip without significant distortions off axis.

If AP is your main interest I would go for a complete rethink and a small refractor on an HEQ5 or NEQ6. If you want to do visual and AP with the same setup then I'd suggest an 8 inch Newt on an NEQ6.

The low price of used SCTs is fuelled by their unsuitability for AP, particularly for someone trying to learn the ropes at the outset. (I speak from experience here...)

I know this reply sounds a little blunt but the idea of forums is to exchange experiences and I see no point in saying things in which I don't believe. Without actually lying the makers of fork SCTs convey the impression that their instruments are ideally suited to AP and this is, in my view, entirely false.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Olly is right on the accuracy needed for imaging with an SCT cos the slowness of the scope means the shutter needs to be open for so much longer. I'm struggling valiantly on with my SCT (for the chllenge really) and starting to get some reasonable images but I have two advantages.

My 8" SCT is EQ mounted not fork (bought it specifically because of this) and it runs on an HEQ5 with guiding. Still a challenge though..

Being an lx90 owner i have to agree with the other chaps

It is possible to use the lx90 for this but its more difficuit and frustrating than doing it right from th offset.

The lx90 is a great visual setup.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

Yes, it won't work. Sorry, but I really don't think it will. The LX90 mount is not sufficiently accurate to image at the focal length of an 8 inch SCT (2 metres native, 1.6 metres reduced). Besides, does the LX90 support autoguiding now? In the past it didn't and needed modifying. Without an autoguider there is no hope of imaging at those FLs and even with it the Meade fork mounts are very tricky on the autoguiding front.

And even when/if you get the autoguiding sorted the standard SCT optics will not cover an APS chip without significant distortions off axis.

If AP is your main interest I would go for a complete rethink and a small refractor on an HEQ5 or NEQ6. If you want to do visual and AP with the same setup then I'd suggest an 8 inch Newt on an NEQ6.

The low price of used SCTs is fuelled by their unsuitability for AP, particularly for someone trying to learn the ropes at the outset. (I speak from experience here...)

I know this reply sounds a little blunt but the idea of forums is to exchange experiences and I see no point in saying things in which I don't believe. Without actually lying the makers of fork SCTs convey the impression that their instruments are ideally suited to AP and this is, in my view, entirely false.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Thanks, that's a good an honest answer. How about a sticky?

PS This answers my previous thread.

Archived