DSO Imaging with finder scope?

If one can image DSOs with a camera an astrotrac, why not with a camera and a finder scope? what can I image through one of those? Just a question.

Example: Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm Spotting Scope 7120 FREE S&H 7120. Konus Spotting Scopes.

I don't mean to be cheap, but ... This would come in handy also to watch and photograph trurkey voltures, eagles, alligators and egrets on my backyard lake.

Any responses?:icon_salut: I am all over the place asking questions....

You can certainly image the Moon through it if you use a Universal Digital Camera Adapter. You might even get a couple of quick planetary images.

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=universal+digital+camera+adapter&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Hww&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1280&bih=894&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=nqxyZlXlrDIUHM:&imgrefurl=http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.com/the_zen_birdfeeder/binoculars-and-scopes/&docid=m6G1KBIqHhkjuM&imgurl=http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/24/digital_camera_adaptor_lg.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=5HIkT9aNDYTAhAfKu-XiBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=189&vpy=295&dur=1365&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=143&ty=91&sig=113964877200429453057&page=1&tbnh=158&tbnw=158&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

It would be ideal for imaging wildlife in the same fashion.

To image DSO, you need a scope on a mount that will be able to follow the objects across the night sky as the earth rotates. This is called an equatorial mount. A fixed mount/tripod will be ok for widefield images of the night sky (constellations etc), but for DSO it just wont work too well.

Astrotracs are designed to follow the night sky in a simialr fashion to an EQ mount.

If you take a long exposure of the night sky with a camera/scope on a fixed tripod.................you will end up with what is called "Star Trails". A nice image by itself if that is what you want.

Thanks, and Agreed. What is the etc? ... I am kidding. Your explanation is very clear. I ask the same questions everywhere, I guess, not sure what I want anymore with so many avenues to follow. Reading Turn left on Orion to learn the sky, or some parts of it. Pretty confusing sometimes.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally, I ordered a Celestron C90 Mak to start taking photos of SOMETHING. I have seen many photos of Jupiter that look very sharp taken with this spotter and I live on lake front with lots of animals to shoot. For less than $200 I can burn that fever and see if I have the staying power and will to pursue this hobby.

Well. dissapointing.i thought i could have a decent view of Jupiter during these days but it appeared as a bright source of light with star-like streaks. What was I thinking? It does not give me a better view than my canon 550d with a zoom. It Came with a 32mm eyepiece, I have also a 25mm and 9 mm from a 700 mm Meade that is lying around in the house. What was i expecting?

This: A very small sphere with rings would have been enough.

a mak should have shown a small disc with maybe a couple or four moons. The rings are on saturn not jupiter are you sure you were hitting the right target? even on a 32mm eyepiece any of the planets show as a disc

With the Mak you should see a small but sharp and contrasty image of jupiter. You should see the banding and the colours would be evident too. I woudn't blame the scope - it could be poor seeing or eyepiece quality or tube temperature (maks take a while to cool down), or any of a number of other things.

There's a small learning curve to setting a scope up correctly :)

a mak should have shown a small disc with maybe a couple or four moons. The rings are on saturn not jupiter are you sure you were hitting the right target? even on a 32mm eyepiece any of the planets show as a disc

Well, it shows how little I know and how confused I can be.Jupiter shows some kinds of brownish bands, how do you call them? I was hitting the lowest on the horizon of Jupiter and Venus. Was it Venus?

Also, experts: Can a barlow help? I suppose the 32mm and 25 mm should be close, but I can notice a small dimming of the images with the 25mm, like it is not as sharp and clear, could be lower quality? Dust? It was stored with an older scope and I did not clean it for lack of knowledge.

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/walky-albums-moon-picture16120-waxing-gibbous-ii-4-clouds-pass-front.jpg

First picture of the moon through MAK 90... I little soft focus, maybe because I did not focus well? Don't know. I have better pics with camera only (Canon SX30 IS), but it was a thrill to finally be able to take a photo.

I wonder if I can buy a barlow and a 8mm(or less) EP to see more of Jupiter. I Suppose I can use a barlow in conjunction with another eyepiece, but... Can I ad a DSLR camera to the setup to take a picture? Wonder if I can do that.

Looking at: Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow Lens (1.25")

... Or 2X of same kind. I see many people referring to 2X barlows but little to 3X...

Opinions, please.

Archived