Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asked to fix a workmates reflector

UnderTheRain

One of the lads at work asked me to fix his reflector he said he'd had it years and never seen anything through it. When he popped it round it turned out to be a refractor a Zennox 900x60 on a really wobbly eq mount of some description.

After a quick look over the scope at some point there has been water inside it (marks on all the lenses). So I took it apart and cleaned all the optics and then reassembled the ota. Next I turned my attention to the tripod half the bolts had worked loose and one of the slow adjustment bars was bent. After about 30mins of attention I assembled it back together and tightened it all back up. Ok I thought lets take this outside and have a quick look at some nice easy targets. A quick spin around to the moon and I centred it full in the ep and was amazed at how much detail I could see. Then I thought ok lets take a look at Jupiter and yeah it was small but sharpe with 3 small moons clearly visible.

The tripod is very wobbly but I just checked on ebay to see how much these scopes sell for and wow they sell for about £60, for that little money I have to say I was impressed with what you can actually see. That being said don't get me wrong I won't be trading my 250 in for one any time soon ;-)

Well I'll give it him back tomorrow and show him how to use it you never know it might just inspure him to get something just a little better

• 2 years later...

I know this is an ancient post, but thought I'd reply, as my daughter has been given one for Christmas. Glad to hear you can see something through it! She has been fascinated with the sky for a while now, and been asking for a telescope. My MIL searched eBay and this was 25 quid, so bought it, knowing I'm interested enough to use it for her, as ny daughter is only 3 and a half!!

Have a physics background and have picked up an interest and awestruck admiration of the pics I see, so am enjoying the chance to see even some of our closet neighbours and objects for myself, and will really enjoy seeing stuff with my daughter. I think I'll need to get proficient at finding things quickly to sustain any concentration or interest from her end, but we'll have fun trying. Thanks for the (old) post, and saying better things than I expected!

Archived