Scope Storage

Hi fellow stargazers,

I've made the decision to store my scope outside mainly because it will be at the right temperature and it will be much easier to roll into position. My only concern is the frost that often forms on the outside of the scope on a particularly cold night. If I move the scope indoors, the temp naturally evaporates all the water. Should I be concerned if I move a frozen scope back into a shed? Will the water cause any damage?

Thanks

Simon :icon_salut:

Hi Simon. If you bring a frozen up scope into a warm house, it will quickly become almost running with water, and if the scope is uncapped, the optics will get very wet too.

So I think your idea to put the scope in a shed is better.

The next morning (or as soon as poss) you can check to see if the optics are dewed up, if so, you can leave the scope uncapped to dry naturally. The frost will hopefully have thawed to leave the scope damp, this can be wiped off with a soft absorbant cloth, a tea towel is good (don't tell the missus !) but resist the temptation to wipe optical surfaces.

There's no one simple answer to this, just do your best.

My own solution is to bring the capped scope indoors to an unheated room, next morning I check for dewing as above. I do realise that many do not have this option.

Regards, Ed.

Thank for that Ed. I have to do lifting to get my scope in and out of the house. Which is fine but as I'm not getting any younger I would like to lift as little as possible. I have the scope on wheels so the new shed should also me to roll it in & out easily. So the only lifting will be if I go to a darker site.

I just need to make sure I won't damage my scope by keeping it outside.

Simon

i'm thinking of doing the same, but probably not until i buy a dew hester system. should be fine if i point the scope downwards when not in use and then turn the dew strips on when i want to use the scope?

Hi Simon.

I have been leaving scopes in sheds (down to -17C last winter) without problem.

However, at the end of an evening, I always dry everthing before packing away.

Do you have a mains socket in your shed?

If so, a quick blast with a hair dryer on the scope, eyepieces, etc, will dry them quickly.

I keep my scope in my shed, i give it a quick wipe with a cloth after use and instead of using the dust covers on the end and on the ep, i use thin cloth and elastic bands to keep them in place. This allows any moisture inside the tube to evaporate and it still keeps dust and spiders out.

I don't have electric in my shed yet but was told here on SGL that a pet heater pad left on constantly will keep the moisture out of the air and will only cost a few pence a month.

Hope this helps.

D.C

I use a cheap dehumidifier in my shed runs for an hour a day and works a treat. After an observing session I put my 10" Dob back in the shed and next morning its always dry I then cover the ends with shower caps. It's lived in there for over two years now and is in great condition.

Archived