Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 with additional data.

Bizibilder

Another clear night has allowed me to just about double my M42 data using the Evostar ED120APO, Reducer, Canon 1000D(unmodded) combo. I set up OK but, in my haste to collect as much data as I could due to a short "window" due to neighbours trees, managed to make a complete pig's ear of getting EQMOD to talk to the scope! And managed to mess up the camera rotation so it ended up about 15° "out" resulting in a heavy crop to get a decent image. I bet we've all done that at some time 4.gif

Anyway, top image is original 1h 10min and lower is a total of 2h 10 min. All in 5min subs (with a SW LP filter). The core is presently some 30 second subs to fill in a bit of detail - next job is to get a few "core" subs to improve that area. Comments and critique, as always, appreciated.

M4223January2012E120PRO.jpg

M422326January2012Merged.jpg

Cool. That extra data is really bringing out some fine detail.

As you say, you need to control burn out in the core - I'm sure you can do something with the 30 second subs you already have - just a case of selectively blending different images together - I do it by having differently stretch stacks and sticking them together. Takes a bit of practice - and don't let anyone tell you that M42 is an easy object to process! - but the results are worth it.

I got AstroArt 5 for Christmas and it is really good and I use PhotoPlus 10 which came free with December's Sky at Night magazine to do the layer blending...

Archived