Binoculars and Bins

Hi,

I've been in love with airplanes, space, planets, galaxies, aliens, alien 2 etc. since I found out my granddad flew airplanes post WWII. Only now, after being married :icon_salut:, I have found the need peace and quiet from this mad world.

T'was only a week or so ago I found my self mesmerized watching and listening to Brian Cox on 'The Sky at Night'. It brought back the memories of my youth, and my love for looking up at night wondering which way to turn for Mars. I grab my fruity pad and download 'star walk' and 'pocket universe HD', aim it to the sky and notice Venus winking at me. I then rummage through my attic to look for my binoculars, then 'Dude. Where's my binoculars!' I don't have any, unless you call the Ray Ban's on the bridge of my nose bins. Hence, that's why I'm posting here.

If I'm going to start somewhere, I'm going to need a good pair of bins before I upgrade to a telescope. So this is where I need some help. With the hundreds of astro-binoculars out there, which are the best for a beginner (soon to be amateur)?

I read post's about the Celestron SkyMaster 15x70. These are a few years old now. Are there any other newer models with new tech? I want to keep it less than £100.

I have an absolute love of photography, astrophotography is the next natural progression for me. Is it possible to take pictures of the night sky, planets etc with a camera through a pair of bins, as you can through a telescope? I use a Canon 5D if this helps.

I just read through my post. I only really needed the last 2 paragraphs. Anyway, I'm excited I have found this uber cool forum.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

LAB77

I believe (correct me if im wrong) that people usually go for 10x50 or like you said 15x70 but i believe that the 10x50 is alot easier on the ol'e hands and arms as there lighter and more stable when holding.. Like i say this lot will correct me if im wrong. I just brought a set of olympus 10x50 dps1 for £48 on amazon reduced from £100.. But... the people here will be able to give alot better advice on bins and scope (when the time comes) then what i could as im only just getting into it myself :-)

When considering binos I'd consider going to a shop where you can pick up and feel them. As you may be surprised at the weight of even 10x50 binos & if your going to be holding them for a long period of time it will only feel worse.

As for larger well some people can handle them, but its harder to hold them still unless they are mounted and the movement can be quite annyoing at times so defeinately look towards a small tripod & a bracket that will fit whatever you get

Just my 2p worth but nothing wrong with "old tech" (indeed the optics on some older binoculars can be claimed to be equal to or superior to some of the modern models).

A Celestron 15x70 is still a good binocular (you will need to replace the dire tripod adapter that comes with it) but is deemed "heavy" so you will need a tripod (another subject altogether!:evil:).

You may also wish to consider a 10x50 binocular - plenty of threads on SGL about those - which could leave you with a few squid to spend on a tripod, star atlas, planisphere, wooly hat and scarf etc...

Decisions, decisions! :icon_salut:

Archived