Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Like Never Before

CGolder

Hello

last night was my first time out observing for a while, so i got home nice and early setup my SCT and waited for it cool just like any other night.

My first target was M42 which i spent many nights looking at through this same scope at my old home location, from my old city location all i ever really made out was the center stars and a kid of 3 spoke nebula.

BUT!! last night was like looking at a different object, i could see dark and light patches in the core nebula, i could make out the full width and curvature of the wing section.

What i saw last night was like something taken by an imager, i didnt think that anything would shock me and make me stand back in amazement anymore in astronomy but seeing the nebula like that rocked me though.

I promptly called the wife who didnt even complain about the cold... which is a first and she was blown away, she has observed with me some of the more spectacular objects in the sky... but last night was something new, something special and a view i will never forget.

i turned my scope to see nebula around M45 (another first) and i caught some rather disapointing views of jupiter. i think this was due to my scope being in the warm for a few days for a maintainance.

my main viewing eyepeice was a 17mm ethos but plently of other eyepieces showed the view was just as spectacular.

is now thinking how big a scope could i get use of from my garden :icon_salut:

That's what a clear, dark sky can do to an otherwise unimpressive object viewed in light polluted sky. The nebulosity around the M45 stars is very faint. In very dark sky (visual mag. limit of 6.0), I have just sensed a trace of it while slowly sweeping by the brightest part with the bright star just out of view (using a 10" newt).

It's a stunning site in dark skies, I'm on it tonight, supposed to be clear tonight in The Highlands so i hope i can get another look at the Horsehead and DSO's in Virgo later on.

You say you fancy a bigger scope, I have the same dilema, I'm looking at selling my sct and getting a 16" computerised dob.

I am not sure I would sell the sct to fund it, its just too darn easy for a scope its size and goto to boot, also the second hand value is shocking so would be in addition for me p. More of a dream at the moment

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Archived