NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nebula Filter discussion

AlexS

I am a newbie and recently have been looking at the Orion nebula through a 200p Dob. The book I am using to learn (Turn left of orion) recommends a nebula filter for best viewing results.

Is the result very noticable with a nebula filter? and how so?

I have noticed a few nebula filters out there. Has anyone got any advice or opinons on any of them? My budget would be approx £40.

Thanks in advance, Id appreciate any advice on this subject. :)

Hi AlexS, nebula filters do bring out the detail on nebulae like the Orion, the UHC filter is a good one for this, looks stunning, and also adds a blue tinge to the subject, which helps identify the wiry clouds in the area, and makes quite a difference.

I tried a 1.25inch 0III in a 200pds & didn't think much of it... but, as Robin says...a UHC will show more... if you can stretch to the 2inch size filter...which you can screw into your eyepiece holder's base...you can use any eyepiece without keep unscrewing the filter.... heres a link i found....

Castell UHC Deepsky Filter for 1.25-Inch Eyepieces [Castell-Duhc1] - 36.00 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

Thanks for all the replies. I think it's best if I get more experience in this hobby before I purchase some filters. I heard joining a society is the best way to learn fast. - also, do people tend to bring dobs to events held by these clubs? It is rather bulky but doable.

As always, I appreciate any comments or advice!

Archived