NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 150P or 150P DS?

Can anyone tell me what advantages there would be of the DS over the standard?

I understand that the tube is shorter and it has a secondary mirror which makes it better for photography? And it has dual speed focuser.

I was looking at this as a viewing scope as I have a 80ED DS for imaging so would there be much in getting the Explorer DS if I'm just viewing with it?

Also how much more would I see with the Explorer 150 than my current 80ED?

One last thing! Would the 150 be comfortable on my EQ5 Pro mount?

As differences go, a PDS over a P has a focuser upgrade that'd cost you over £100 and the primary mirror is slightly farther up the tube meaning the focus point is farther out the focuser making it easier to achieve focus on Cameras.

Basically, worth the extra price for the focuser alone.

As for the mount, yes. The EQ3 they get sold on is pushing it a bit. EQ5 is a perfect match.

The difference is mainly that the DS is designed to accomodate a camera, such as a DSLR, wheres the 150P would probably not permit enough inward focus for a DSLR .

The DS secondary is larger in order that there will be no light loss, because the distance between the main mirror and the secondary is shorter, hence the shorter tube. The dual speed focuser is an aid to finer focusing, essential for imaging.

The secondary has to be larger, as it is placed in the light path further towards the main mirror, where the returning beam of light is wider.

If intend no photography, the the P model should be OK for you.

Think about it though, you might change your mind later.

Ron.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Say I were to go for the DS what might I be able to image differently to what I could get with my 80ED DS?, even though I know that imaging is generally better with a refractor.

Does anyone know what physical length the scope is and how much shorter it is than the P? Just curious because I'm a bit limited on space.

The tubes are physically the same length (about 70cm including dustcap). The DS focuser is nice but not necessary for visual observations. It would be perfect on the EQ5, it is okay for visual use on the EQ3-2 actually.

If you have an 80ED for imaging, you are probably not gaining much with the 150P. It will give you a smaller field and is faster. I love mine for imaging but it is right in the middle, not wide enough for big targets and not close enough for small ones. It gives very nearly the same field as 120ED with a reducer but at f/5 rather than f/6.something. It will need collimation, but this not a big deal on a little scope like this.

Archived