SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I started off trying to get some shots of M42 through my scope but the focus was all out and I still haven't got round to getting motor drives so there was trailing and all sorts going on, DSS wanted nothing to do with them so.....

I decided I wasn't going to waste this beautiful night i set up my tripod and took a couple of 1 min exposures ISO 1600, F6.3, a bit of noise reduction and backlight adjustment and this is what I got.

Not sure if it is good, bad or half decent as I am completely new to DSLR photography and AP so any comments welcome.

Cheers,

post-24725-133877721988_thumb.jpg

Well, you've got a bit of trailing (not surprising with 60s exposures on a static tripod) but it is obvious where in the sky it is, which is always good :). It might be worth having another go, but using shorter exposures, but aiming at the same total exposure time (e.g. twice as many 30s exposures). You may not get quite as many faint stars, but it will seriously reduce the trailing effect.

If you are having problems with focus with the camera through the scope, a simple Y-mask might help, although until you get some motors, you will remain very limited on the exposure length.

HTH

Thanks, will give that a go, will the 2 30 secs just stack in DSS then?

It is hard enough trying to learn 1 new hobby in Astronomy but introducing a camera too is a bit daunting but gives plenty to work at!! :)

Above was just a single shot. If I take multiple shots without tracking would I need to adjust the tripod after so many to centre the image again or will dss recognise and align? Sorry my questions are so basic but i hadn't picked up a dslr before Xmas!!

Archived