NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces - Differing Designs

Its cloudy and so here I am currently browsing the web, checking out SGL and now stumbling over to shopping websites... Now have a question on Eyepiece types!

I am only familiar with Plossl design and have two "Super" type that were supplied with the scope. Have recently got myself a 3x Tal Barlow too, which I think is pretty good and has extended my EP collection and viewing pleasure greatly.

Am just looking at "Planetary" EPs. I understand these give a much larger & wider field of view - but how do they fair when compared to the Plossl designs? It looks like the lenses are much wider, even on very high power focal lengths, how does this affect the image (would my Mrs who complains about the Plossl lenses being too small appreciate it?!). (ie: 6mm seems to be as wide as the 1.25In barrel!). Thought I'd ask so I don't risk blowing £50 or so...

You are probably talking about the TMB planetary clones. They have longer eye relief at shorter focal length, so they will be easier to use.

As for quality, it depends on your plossl. I haven't used these TMB clones but base on what I've read on the web, high quality plossl such as TV plossl will beat them in contrast.

Are your 'super' plossl, Meade Series 4000 and made in Japan? If they are Chinese made S4k then they are just regular plossl.

Archived