Beginner Webcam Advice

Hi there, I have been into astronomy for about a year now and have enjoyed spotting through my telescope mainly on my own. Now I want to share my experiances with others through pictures, without having to strech to a DSLR camera. Im looking for a resonable priced webcam with a removable lens which will work with my Skywatcher Capricorn. Any suggestions will be welcome. I have already purchased the webcam adapter and just need pointing in the right direction for the camera. Thanks in advanced.

PT

I'd go for the SPC880 and flash it to work as an SPC900 (which, I believe is discontinued now). I've had mine for a few months and am really pleased with it. Don't forget that you'll also need an IR/UV filter for it too, though. That caught me out when I bought mine.

Thought it might be an idea to post one or two images that I have captured using cheap webcams.

The image of the lunar south is taken with a Trust WB5400 cam which I paid £15 for and the image of 'Rima Hyginus' is taken with a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 I think it cast me £10.

Ok they're not fantastic :) but seeing as the cams cost so little! and great fun.

post-32473-133877721815_thumb.jpg

post-32473-133877721823_thumb.jpg

Hi

I'm looking for a webcam but am struggling to find one that's suitable and more importantly - In stock!

I think as the ones mentioned above are popular for this type of work the prices get hiked up!

I was wondering if the following would be suitable? It's a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 and is available for £33 from Amazon

Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 HD: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thanks, I'm sure you get asked this all the time but I just can't seem to get hold of the recommended ones!

Thanks

NM

Hi

I'm looking for a webcam but am struggling to find one that's suitable and more importantly - In stock!

I think as the ones mentioned above are popular for this type of work the prices get hiked up!

I was wondering if the following would be suitable? It's a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 and is available for £33 from Amazon

Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 HD: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thanks, I'm sure you get asked this all the time but I just can't seem to get hold of the recommended ones!

Thanks

NM

I think that one is OK. I seem to remember somewhere on the internet a site giving details of the conversion. It requires the camera being removed from the casing and rehoused in a plastic or metal project box. Probably this one Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 Webcam -Planetary, Lunar and Solar Imaging - by Gary Honis

Peter

Archived