NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CPC 9.25 ease of use an' that

I was reading the Clestron "blurb" about the Celestron CPC auto goto "skyalign" ,so is it as easy as they say it is?

3 objects or even 2 so is it that easy or just hype or is it really that easy?

when I visit dark sky sites I can't find objects ,there is just too many , still It think there is no substitute for portability to allow visits to DS sites, the 9.25 would be just about right

what about the fork mounting is that inferior to an equatorial mount? I see one of the must have accessories is a wedge so are the anticipating

folks using another mount? because the wedge will not allow the goto work.

Some GOTO 's have the star names in Arabic is the CPC the same ?

The tripod supplied for the 8 ,9.25 and 11 all seem to be similar are they a compromise as well.

I'm using an old 1974 Orange C8 complete with all the original tripod and wedge and I really like the astro views ...you know when I attached an Antares 2 in diagonal and a moonfish 30mm EP the difference was astounding and it seems easier to use ,trouble is polar aligning it, there is only one motor drive if you are not accurate Saturn :saturn: just drifts out view.See I really would like to upgrade ,try more astro photography but what to go for??? :insects1: something easy to use with enough aperture then there is the mount may be I'll stick with what I've got :) god I'm rambling on , need to get out more to the pub.....

Dave, the align routine is very easy. You just have to make sure the star is properly centred by using a high power EP. I use a 2 star align and pick my own stars to suit where I'm imaging - it's a bit quicker but the sky align really is very good.

The wedge is only for imaging and totally unecessary for visual. Even then you can get good results when starting out by using a 3.3 focal reducer, a modified web cam and 45 second exposures in alt az.

Hi Dave,

I can give you my opinion... but as a bit of a newbie it may not carry much weight.

The Sky Align really is dead easy..... point at 3 bright objects and away you go, have also used both the 2 star and the solar system align (used the moon) and all worked well. Once aligned it will list the names and details of the 3 objects you chose amoungst various other information.

The tripod is nice and sturdy and comes with a little bubble level so you can get the tripod set up nice and even. Can't say about the larger scopes of the CPC family, but for my 8 inch it keeps it rock solid.

All the information on the Handset is in English and there really is a wealth of information stored and little device :)

Not sure how portable the 9.25 will be though.... the 8 inch model is reckoned to be about 20 Kilo's in weight, although never weighed it myself. But the position of the handles makes it easy to lift as it's well balanced with the handles in the position they're in.

I personally don't have any complaints about mine, but like I said, ,as a newbie I haven't been using it for as long as others have theirs. Hope this helps.

ElijahB

That's good advice , what about difference slew rates?

Are there different speeds for lunar and stellar, will it keep an object in FOV for hours on end.

the clear nights are so few I need to make the best of them plan nights viewing.

Of Course I never do, I'm not that well organised.

I suppose the dew shield is a must when I was at a DS site the temp was minus 8 deg

the old Orange C8 had a layer of frost.so had my nose!

Would want to try some photography with my DSLR at prime focus perhaps using registac

I assume the visual back unscrews to fit camera adaptors .

what about these LPR filters that screw on to the visual back do they increase the focus length.

So many questions......

welcome to my world about 3-4 months ago :)

Different slew rates - yes, user selectable from the hand controller

If you are going to do more visual than imaging, a wedge isnt essential. I took this in AltAz, using 20 x 20second shots, NexStar 8 GPS, Canon 350D:

m13-20070530-350d-normal.jpg

Obviously, longer exposures will require the use of a wedge, which also eliminates field rotation in the individual images in a sequence.

Yes, the Visual Back unscrews and you attached a T-Ring and adapter for your camera.

Dew shield... maybe... dew heater strips DEFINITELY...

I am blessed with pretty low LP, so have no experience with the LPR filters

If you do a 2 star align it should stay in the FOV for a very long time. Once you are aligned, you can go into 'hibernate' mode and turn the scope off. When you come back an hour or so later, wake the scope up ( don't move the scope manually ) and go to the object you want to look at and it will be in the FOV.

Dew shield - definitely, it works well. Most of the time that's all you'll need, although I have a dew strip heater on hand for 'emergencies'.

MD

Hi Dave,

I've the 6SE, a bit smaller but similar goto - I have had no problems so long as the tripod is level (ish) and I use the same slew directions to centre objects that the goto approach uses (mine is right and down eg...). Also had good results using Solar system align on the Moon during the day.

I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers

Hugh

Archived